RAM Upgrade Acer Aspire 3 A315-41-R4B9

Options
AlessandroLiv
AlessandroLiv Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi all, I have this Acer Aspire 3 A315-41-R4B9. With AMD Ryzen 3 2200u processor and Vega 3 Mobile Integrated Graphics. I have 8Gb RAM (Kingston ACR26D4S9S8ME-8) memory with these specs:          

I have an empty slot too. I'd like to buy another stick of RAM to add. Can I put in the empty slot a 4Gb stick? The most important question is: what are the specs of the RAM that I have to buy? I know about frequency which is 2666MHz  and voltage which is 1.2V and obviously also about DDR4 SODIMM type. But for example from the screenshot I don't understand how much is my RAM Cas Latency (17, 18, 19 or 20????). Is a 8+4Gb set much slower than a 2x8Gb dual channel? Here 2 sticks I'd like to buy, are them compatible with mine?
Another question, how does Dual Channel work in unpaired memories (8+4Gb)? I read that the first half of the bigger stick works in dual channel with the whole smaller stick. Is this true?
Sorry for the big number of questions :/ . I would appreciate if anyone answers even at only one of them. Thank you very much. Also sorry if there are some mistakes in my English.

Best Answers

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,111 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, both are compatible with your laptop, you won't see any difference between (8+4) and 2x8 setup unless you do some memory intensive task, memory speeds are high so I don't think whether it's dual channel or single channel matter in my opinion, others may have different opinion.
    You are right about dual channel working in 8+4 setup, half of larger stick work in dual channel and the rest will be in single channel.
  • AlessandroLiv
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, both are compatible with your laptop, you won't see any difference between (8+4) and 2x8 setup unless you do some memory intensive task, memory speeds are high so I don't think whether it's dual channel or single channel matter in my opinion, others may have different opinion.
    You are right about dual channel working in 8+4 setup, half of larger stick work in dual channel and the rest will be in single channel.
    So if these sticks are compatible, my CL is 19? How do you confirm if a RAM is compatible or not? Thanks a lot. 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,111 Trailblazer
    edited October 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    You have a 2666MHz RAM with CL value of 19 already in your laptop, so another module of same specs will be compatible, you have already done most of the work by installing CPU-z which provides the current module specs, so it's easy to find a compatible module, yes your CL=19 please look at the discussion for another model laptop but the memory module is same as yours.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/554114/helios-300-ph315-51-upgrading-ram-from-8gb-to-2x8gb
  • AlessandroLiv
    Options
    Hi,
    You have a 2666MHz RAM with CL value of 19 already in your laptop, so another module of same specs will be compatible, you have already done most of the work by installing CPU-z which provides the current module specs, so it's easy to find a compatible module, yes your CL=19 please look at the discussion for another model laptop but the memory module is same as yours.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/554114/helios-300-ph315-51-upgrading-ram-from-8gb-to-2x8gb
    Ok thanks. I had already read this question, but I opened another thread because from here I can see that something is different:
    So from here some doubts were born. Here it explicitly says CL: 17.0 clocks. So my RAM is a CL17 or CL19??  :s Sorry for my insistence but I'm not understanding if I can buy one of those RAM which I linked before.

• GURTAJ
    GURTAJ Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi,I wanted to upgrade my acer aspire 3 a315-41 ram.So, I am looking for the same 4gb ram stick.Could you please tell me where to buy
  • AlessandroLiv
    Options
    GURTAJ said:
    Hi,I wanted to upgrade my acer aspire 3 a315-41 ram.So, I am looking for the same 4gb ram stick.Could you please tell me where to buy

Hi, follow the steps in the discussion and, if your RAM specs are the same as mine, you can buy this one:
    https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07HP78DZ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
    I've bought the 8GB version and it has never given me a problem in 8 months.

• mikim
    mikim Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    hi,, i have this aspire 3 A315-41G-R7HY with 4gb ddr4 memory,, can i upgrade my ram into 8+8 ram with 2666MHz ?