Acer Nitro 7 AN715-51 can't recognize NVME SSD

Options
2»

Answers

• wpblast63
    wpblast63 Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

Options
    Have you tried updating the bios to see if it resolves the issue?
    I did. It's the latest BIOS. v1.09
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Do it:
    a) Enter safe mode and uninstall the intel raid or ahci driver that may appear in the device manager and uninstall intel rapid storage as well. This can corrupt windows startup, so you must enter safe mode.
    b) Then change the mode to ahci no bios and click save and hang up. Install ssd nvme and verify that it is detected.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • wpblast63

Tinkerer

Options
    Do it:
    a) Enter safe mode and uninstall the intel raid or ahci driver that may appear in the device manager and uninstall intel rapid storage as well. This can corrupt windows startup, so you must enter safe mode.
    b) Then change the mode to ahci no bios and click save and hang up. Install ssd nvme and verify that it is detected.
    I did update the BIOS. No RAID drivers installed.

I did change the mode to AHCI.

Still no luck. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Would you have to test another ssd nvme on pcie only port?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • wpblast63

Tinkerer

Options
    Would you have to test another ssd nvme on pcie only port?
    I can't because I don't have a PC or a laptop that has a PCIE only slot other than this laptop.

Again, both NVME drives work just fine. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Try disconnecting su800 and then plugging ssd nvme into the pcie only port.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• wpblast63

Tinkerer

Options
    Try disconnecting su800 and then plugging ssd nvme into the pcie only port.
    I did. Still not detected.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    When you disconnect su800 and ssd m2 from the sata / pcie port and only connect ssd to the pcie-only port, is it recognized?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• wpblast63

Tinkerer

Options
    When you disconnect su800 and ssd m2 from the sata / pcie port and only connect ssd to the pcie-only port, is it recognized?
    Nope. Both the NVME and SATA M2 SSDs have been on the PCIE only slot. Both aren't recognized even when PCIE/SATA slot is unoccupied. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried resetting the battery?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• wpblast63

Tinkerer

Options
    Have you tried resetting the battery?
    Uh... How? This model doesn't have a battery reset switch.
  • Mainerunr
    Mainerunr Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    following this because at some point I'm going to want to add another m.2 to my Nitro 7 AN715-51 (but not the fancy version with the 1660, the cheap one with the 1650). and if I run into problems...probably gonna wait until 2tb come down in price though, already have a 512gb m.2 and 500gb 2.5" sata so I should be good for a while.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! Even so, it would be interesting if you can still exchange the notebook or request a refund from the dealer. Probably the pcie port is having problems, or raid mode is preventing the new ssd from being detected correctly.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• meshswapnil
    meshswapnil Member Posts: 39 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    wpblast63 said:
    So I have an Acer Nitro 7 AN715-51 laptop. The specs are below:

Intel Core i7-9750H
    GTX 1660Ti
    32GB (16x2) RAM DDR4-2666 (upgraded from 1x8GB stock)

I have a 500GB SATA SSD in the M.2 form and one 1TB SSD SATA SSD in 2.5 inch. Both SSDs worked just fine.

The problem is when I try to install my ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD. It simply refuses to read it.

I also have my SK Hynix 256GB NVME drive that came with the laptop. Also can't be read.

However, both of them are readable if I swap it with the 500GB M.2 SATA SSD, but I cannot install my OS inside as the Windows 10 installation doesn't read the drive.

It's on the latest BIOS too. Any solutions? Thank you. 
    I have a same laptop with 9300h and 1660ti and I'm pretty sure I had this problem when I was installing a WD500GB M.2 SATA SSD . I installed the WD ssd in the free slot and then booted the laptop and yep windows didn't  recognize the ssd .
    Then later I swapped the default kingston 256gb ssd with the WD 500gb one and it showed up in bios and since then I'm using it like this . It was weird 
    Also I installed a 2TB SATA HDD . 

• wpblast63

Tinkerer

Options
    wpblast63 said:

Intel Core i7-9750H
    GTX 1660Ti

I have a 500GB SATA SSD in the M.2 form and one 1TB SSD SATA SSD in 2.5 inch. Both SSDs worked just fine.

The problem is when I try to install my ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD. It simply refuses to read it.

I also have my SK Hynix 256GB NVME drive that came with the laptop. Also can't be read.

However, both of them are readable if I swap it with the 500GB M.2 SATA SSD, but I cannot install my OS inside as the Windows 10 installation doesn't read the drive.

I have a same laptop with 9300h and 1660ti and I'm pretty sure I had this problem when I was installing a WD500GB M.2 SATA SSD . I installed the WD ssd in the free slot and then booted the laptop and yep windows didn't  recognize the ssd .
    Then later I swapped the default kingston 256gb ssd with the WD 500gb one and it showed up in bios and since then I'm using it like this . It was weird 

Makes sense. Your Kingston SSD is an NVME drive and you installed it on the PCIE only slot, which only reads NVME SSDs. The WD drive is SATA, which can be read by the PCIE/SATA slot.

My problem is no matter what drive I put in the PCIE only slot, it doesn't read it at all, even the one that came with the laptop.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
      You could test with the same nvme drive as @wpblast63

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• meshswapnil
    meshswapnil Member Posts: 39 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    wpblast63 said:
    wpblast63 said:

Intel Core i7-9750H
    GTX 1660Ti

Makes sense. Your Kingston SSD is an NVME drive and you installed it on the PCIE only slot, which only reads NVME SSDs. The WD drive is SATA, which can be read by the PCIE/SATA slot.

My problem is no matter what drive I put in the PCIE only slot, it doesn't read it at all, even the one that came with the laptop.
    Ooh now I get it .
    Will it help if you can downgrade to the 1.05 BIOS ? cuz I know a way to downgrade .
  • wpblast63

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    wpblast63 said:
    wpblast63 said:

Intel Core i7-9750H
    GTX 1660Ti

Ooh now I get it .
    Will it help if you can downgrade to the 1.05 BIOS ? cuz I know a way to downgrade .
    Nope. I tried both versions. No luck.

Also a little bit of update: Switching to AHCI makes my NVME drive actually readadble in the PCIE/SATA slot. I have successfully cloned my OS into it and I'm typing this post on my laptop with the OS on the NVME drive.

Still no luck on the PCIE only slot. But I did find one very interesting discovery: If I put my NVME drive on the PCIE slot, not only that the BIOS still doesn't read it, it's actually heating up my NVME drive into ridiculous levels.

So I think I can conclude that this PCIE only slot is broken. I have to deal with just one PCIE/SATA M.2 and one SATA storage, which means that if I want more storage, I need to buy a bigger drive.

Thank you all for the help, especially on switching the SATA mode. 
  • wpblast63

Tinkerer

Options
    So I managed to clone my OS M.2 SATA SSD into the NVME drive thanks to the AHCI mode.

First I converted the OS SATA mode inside the M.2 SATA drive into AHCI from IRST with Optane Premium through this guide: https://support.thinkcritical.com/kb/articles/switch-windows-10-from-raid-ide-to-ahci

Then after successfully booting into Windows in AHCI mode, I cloned my OS in my M.2 SATA to my 2.5 inch SATA SSD. I removed the M.2 SATA SSD and replaced it with the NVME drive.

I boot to Windows through the 2.5 inch SATA drive and cloned the OS to the NVME drive. I removed the 2.5 inch SATA SSD, put back my data drive back in, and try to boot to Windows through the NVME. Success.

Now the NVME is still sitting in the PCIE/SATA slot. So now I moved the NVME to the PCIE-only slot with the Windows installation inside. The BIOS still didn't read it, but there's one other discovery that I find that pretty much confirms my suspicion that this PCIE-only slot is broken. 

Once I got out of BIOS, I removed the NVME drive out of the PCIE-only slot, only to find it incredibly hot as I touched it. It didn't get hot when I move it to the PCIE-only slot, and that's just moments after I cloned the drive.

So that settles it for me. The PCIE-only slot is broken. So if I want more storage, I'm going to need a bigger drive, which I can afford. I just wish that I can use it alongside my other drives.

Thank you all for helping especially how to bring the SATA mode from the BIOS. It helps a lot.