Temperature and Undervolting.

edielon
edielon Member Posts: 32 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a Nitro AN515-54 and I have a few questions.
1. Is it normal that my CPU temperature get up to 96 Celsius  when gaming? its mostly staying on the 90's when I game. Is this still safe?
2. Does undervolting help reduce my temp and If I undervolt my laptop does it void the warranty?

Best Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 4,006 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @edielon
    I dont think undevolting should avoid the warranty of your unit.
    The temperature is normal on the laptop because Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Arian777
    Arian777 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    edited October 2019 Answer ✓
    Guys, this is getting silly and simply Out Of Control
    Ill be straight forward, IT IS NOT normal if your laptop hits 95 C

Now then, you can either listen to these people (no offence to anyone) who keep saying, DONT WORRY about it, these laptops are made to withstand high temps.

OR you can listen to someone like me and actually somewhere instead of thinking its okay to have such temps.

SURE, I agree they DO have higher temp tolerance, HOWEVER that does not mean its OKAY to be in the high 90s most of the time while you play games or perform some heavy CPU/GPU usage task.

I have been searching for the same answer @edielon for over a month in facebook, acer community, twitter, reddit, YOU NAME IT! And people would say its OKAY to hit 90s + C...

The answer is simple bud, im 99% sure that Your stock thermal paste is simply SHIT, you heard it, its just crap.
    Do it at your own risk, I dont see what you can mess up if you follow the guides on youtube on how to change a thermal paste though.

I did it 2 days ago bud and I was hitting constant 95C when id game on low settings before.
    Note that it was my first time ever opening a laptop with ZERO experience in this and It worked like a charm for me.
    I cleaned the Thermal Paste from the CPU and GPU using Qbuds + 90% alcohol and then applied a really thin layer of thermal paste that covers most of the chip (GPU and CPU) and I also applied a really thin layer on the heat sink.
     I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (12.5W/m-k) as my thermal paste.

Results? NOT even exaggerating from 95C to 60C (in apex legends) and 65 if I play on ultra. The only time I pushed 70 C was when I played "Anthem" on ultra but I had my GPU overclocked and I was using CPU boost 3.8Ghz.
    Obviously the results may differ but you will most likely see a huge drop in temperatures!

Please DO NOT forget to clean your fans as well, it is really important you do so!

P.S! Not only does it lower your temps, but you will see better results and your fps will be way more stable and if not even higher. Because when you hit 90+ C ( in my case 95C) your laptop automatically limits the power of your CPU and GPU a lot just so it wont raise above 95 C/ 96 C. So you dont get the full power you are supposed to be getting.

Last but not least Undervolting does lower temps !

I hope I was of any help!
    And sorry for being so direct and honest, ive just had too much of people beating around the bush and not answering me.
    I just wanna help someone that has the same prob I had.

Take care!

(Acer should totally pay me or hire me for this xD)

• Arian777
    Answer ✓
    edielon said:
    Jack22 said:
    @edielon
    The temperature is normal on the laptop because Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

What software do you recommend for undervolting?
    You can Use XTU or ThrottleStop, both gave me similar results, though ive seen that some prefer ThrottleStop over XTU.

(BTW) just so you know, If you decide to use ThrottleStop you either launch the program each time you turn on your laptop or you use task scheduler so itll auto start it whenever you turn on your PC.

As for XTU, people say that it does its job automatically, but I always check it myself because in my case, the Core Voltage offset (the undervolting) goes back to default ("0") every 3-5 days.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 4,006 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @edielon

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Jack22 said:
    @edielon

Everything that @Jack22 says is true. However the lower the temperature that you can achieve the longer your hardware will last. I recommend keeping your GPU Drivers up to date, gaming with Fans set to Max with Coolboost (if you find them loud use a headset), use an inexpensive Targus cooling mat with USB powered integrated fans (Amazon) and finally game in the coolest room of your home, ambient temperature especially in hot climates does make a difference.

If I have answered your question please click YES, thank you

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Arian777
    edited October 2019 Answer ✓

Now then, you can either listen to these people (no offence to anyone) who keep saying, DONT WORRY about it, these laptops are made to withstand high temps.

OR you can listen to someone like me and actually somewhere instead of thinking its okay to have such temps.

SURE, I agree they DO have higher temp tolerance, HOWEVER that does not mean its OKAY to be in the high 90s most of the time while you play games or perform some heavy CPU/GPU usage task.

I have been searching for the same answer @edielon for over a month in facebook, acer community, twitter, reddit, YOU NAME IT! And people would say its OKAY to hit 90s + C...

The answer is simple bud, im 99% sure that Your stock thermal paste is simply *****, you heard it, its just *****.
    Do it at your own risk, I dont see what you can mess up if you follow the guides on youtube on how to change a thermal paste though.

I did it 2 days ago bud and I was hitting constant 95C when id game on low settings before.
    Note that it was my first time ever opening a laptop with ZERO experience in this and It worked like a charm for me.
    I cleaned the Thermal Paste from the CPU and GPU using Qbuds + 90% alcohol and then applied a really thin layer of thermal paste that covers most of the chip (GPU and CPU) and I also applied a really thin layer on the heat sink.

Results? NOT even exaggerating from 95C to 60C (in apex legends) and 65 if I play on ultra. The only time I pushed 70 C was when I played "Anthem" on ultra but I had my GPU overclocked and I was using CPU boost 3.8Ghz.
    Obviously the results may differ but you will most likely see a huge drop in temperatures!

Please DO NOT forget to clean your fans as well, it is really important you do so!

P.S! Not only does it lower your temps, but you will see better results and your fps will be way more stable and if not even higher. Because when you hit 90+ C ( in my case 95C) your laptop automatically limits the power of your CPU and GPU a lot just so it wont raise above 95 C/ 96 C. So you dont get the full power you are supposed to be getting.

And sorry for being so direct and honest, ive just had too much of people beating around the bush and not answering me.

Take care!

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited October 2019
    @Arian777 Who do you mean by "these people" If you read my post i basically said the same as you, it is within tolerance but not preferable. I agree use Grizzly Kryonaut for repasting it's the best and yes it is easy

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• edielon
    Arian777 said:

The answer is simple bud, im 99% sure that Your stock thermal paste is simply *****, you heard it, its just *****.

Take care!

Thank you for this one :). I actually have some experience repasting laptops. But the problem is my laptop is still 4 months old and if I open it by myself the warranty will be voided.
  • edielon
    Jack22 said:
    @edielon

• Arian777
    andylb said:
    @Arian777 Who do you mean by "these people" If you read my post i basically said the same as you, it is within tolerance but not preferable. I agree use Grizzly Kryonaut for repasting it's the best and yes it is easy
    I didnt target you specifically and you did say that its not preferable however that is not the answer to his question.
    He needs a solution and not an opinion. Im not here to oppose you but we need straight and direct solutions if available.

Have a good day mate.
  • Arian777
    edielon said:
    Arian777 said:

Take care!

Thank you for this one :). I actually have some experience repasting laptops. But the problem is my laptop is still 4 months old and if I open it by myself the warranty will be voided.
    Thats what I was saying for the last 2 years to myself.
    Ive seen threads about the "does repasting void warranty?" The answer is, it depends on the country.
    You can contact Acer in your country if there is any in the first place. (In Bulgaria they dont even have a single official Acer store which is dumb if you ask me).

You have the option of giving them the laptop so "THEY" (ACER) repaste your thermal paste but, honestly I wouldnt rely on that, they just do it way too bad and wanna get the job done ASAP regardless if its done Well or Not.
    Complain by contacting ACER in you country and say that you will repaste it yourself as long as it does NOT void warranty.

Note: (Its up to you, but I would repaste it regardless of what they say, however I would prefer it if I could keep my warranty as well).

• Arian777
    Answer ✓
    edielon said:
    Jack22 said:
    @edielon

You can Use XTU or ThrottleStop, both gave me similar results, though ive seen that some prefer ThrottleStop over XTU.

(BTW) just so you know, If you decide to use ThrottleStop you either launch the program each time you turn on your laptop or you use task scheduler so itll auto start it whenever you turn on your PC.

As for XTU, people say that it does its job automatically, but I always check it myself because in my case, the Core Voltage offset (the undervolting) goes back to default ("0") every 3-5 days.
  • edielon
    Arian777 said:
    edielon said:
    Jack22 said:
    @edielon

Thanks a lot for the help mate!
  • Arian777
    @edielon
    Anytime bud! Feel free to ask further questions!
    Ill try my best to answer you as soon as possible! as simple as possible!