Acer R11 Chromebook freezes and black screen problems

Fuggle
Fuggle Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, My Acer R11 Chromebook keeps giving me a black screen and freezing when I try to open certain apps, such as Play Store and even when I try to open Word. I always have to end up doing a hard reboot. Have tried Power washing several times as well as browser reset and hardware reset among others. Trying to avoid OS Recovery as don't have another laptop to download Chrome OS from. Can anyone help as this is driving me mad, I need my Chromebook for college and can't afford a new one!

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,730 Pathfinder
    @Fuggle
    Try power wash
    1. Sign out of your Chromebook.
    2. Press and hold Ctrl + Alt + Shift + r.
    3. Select Restart.
    4. In the box that appears, select Powerwash and then Continue.
    5. Once you've reset your Chromebook:

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Fuggle

Tinkerer

Jack22
       I did that (thanks by the way), it seemed to be working and gave my Chromebook a deeper Powerwash than before. But, as the cycle came to an end, my Chromebook just reverted back to where it was. Same user profile (rather than deleting it) same bookmarks on my Google page, I was even back in Dev Mode, which is strange because I'd already switched back to Stable Mode before I attempted a Powerwash. Still getting the same crash and freeze problems but, when I attempted to open my Word program, it did get further than before. It kept flashing from Word to blackscreen before freezing altogether and forcing me to do a hard reboot.
       I actually powered down my Chromebook last night , so I'm gonna see if I can open any of my problem programs. Best switch back to Stable Mode first! :( 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    I wonder if there's drive corruption that is blocking saving of parameters...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • biz_user3335
    biz_user3335 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I am having the exact same problem as Fuggle, for about a month now.  Have done recommended Powerwash and every android app still freezes my machine (sometimes for good, sometimes it eventually closes the app).  Even happens on Google Play Store.
  • bigskyazmt
    bigskyazmt Member Posts: 2 New User
    My chromebook is having all these problems I read about. how do I know if im in developer mode.
  • bigskyazmt
    bigskyazmt Member Posts: 2 New User
    Ok guys. for some reason my chromebook now, i turned the playstore app on and had to wait like 20 seconds, then it started working. although it still goes black for everything. with minimal success.
  • Fuggle

Tinkerer

Hey guys, seemed to have fixed it. If anyone else is having this problem (hey Biz), try this... From your browser, type  chrome://flags/  then scroll down until you reach 'Experimental QUIC protocol' and select 'Disabled' from the drop-box.

Hey Bigskyazmt, to check whether you're in Dev Mode or not, hover your cursor over the Time & Signal icon at the bottom right of your screen, select 'the 'Settings' icon (looks like a cog-wheel). From the menu that pops up, select 'About Chrome OS' from the bottom of the list on the left. Now select 'Detailed build information' from the menu. From the list on the right, inder 'Channel', it should say "Currently on...". Here it will tell you whether you're on either 'Stable'. 'Beta' or 'Developer - unstable' mode. On the right, you can change modes via the 'Change channel' button. WARNING!!! Only switch to Beta or Dev(eloper) modes if you know what you're doing, I found out the hard way! lol.

I hope this helps.
  • biz_user3335
    biz_user3335 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Fuggle, thanks for the recommendation, but I disabled the Experimental QUIC protocol and restarted my machine.  Still no change.  I can't believe more people aren't having the same problem.  
  • Pssst3
    Pssst3 Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited August 2020
    If this started happening after an update, before going through the disruption of a Powerwash, try a hardware reset and reset the flags.

A hardware reset is  like resetting the BIOS on a PC to the defaults. With as fast as Chromebooks boot up, this should take under 2 minutes. 
    • Power off the chromebook.
    • Hold down the Refresh key (between the Forward key and the Full screen key) and TAP the power key.
    • Repeat this 3 times.
    Reset the flags by
    • entering Chrome://flags in the Chrome browser
    • click the Reset All button
    • click the Restart button