Stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair screen Predator Triton 500

J_LG_87
J_LG_87 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives
Hi all!
Just got a new Predator Triton 500 for work, and my first task was to dual boot it with Ubuntu 18.04. Got plenty of issues with windows not working with ACHI (tried everything), up until someone told me to update my RST drivers. I did just that. Now windows won't boot in either ACHI or RST (Premium with Optane) - on ACHI I still get the No Bootable Device screen; on RST I get BOSD followed y reboot and stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair screen (and it stays there until I reboot...). 

Any way I can access the Windows boot menu (for a Reset) without having to use a boot drive?

Best

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good afternoon J_LG_87 !

First of all, have you tried a dual-boot installation?
    Are you familiar with Linux installation and distributions?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• J_LG_87
    J_LG_87 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi MaClane!

I've managed to solve the Preparing Automatic Repairs loop by using a boot drive - launched a recovery which failed, but next boot prompted windows boot manager instead of the Automatic Repairs screen. So I could just reset windows. 

Wrt dual-booting, I've done it about 4 times in the past and it is the first time I face so much trouble. That is because:
    1 - It's the first time I don't install windows myself (laptop) - hence I'm having a lot of troubles getting windows to boot on AHCI; that's still unresolved
    2 - I can't even manage to install Ubuntu (or start a live session). I get a 'Couldn't find size 0x8000...' and a 'Couldn't get UEFI db list' errors. I've tried a series of actions advised on forums (modifying grub options mostly) but they've all failed so far. 

Any idea how I could address either 1 or 2 above? 

Help is much appreciated!