BIOS freeze after Linux install sf114-32

Duzaros
Duzaros Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I installed Kali Linux as the sole OS on my new sf114-32 and can no longer enter BIOS. If I press F2 all I get is a black screen with a dash. Also the USB I used to install is not shown if I press F12. Reset does not help and alt-F10 does nothing at all. Linux is working properly though. How can the OS (or grub) screw up BIOS? 

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good afternoon Duzaros !

In what mode did you install Kali?
    Uefi or Legacy?
    Have you tried simply removing the HDD and checking if Bios is accessible?
    Do you have advanced knowledge to use Kali distro?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Duzaros

Tinkerer

Hi MaClane! Thanks for replying!
    Installed in UEFI.
    I haven’t tried removing the SSD yet, because I was reluctant to open the notebook up. I’ll try that next. However, even if I could enter BIOS this way, how could this solve my issue without me getting a new ssd or somehow reformatting the original one?
    I have some experience with Linux but not enough to understand how this happened. 
  • MaClane
    The test is to make sure that the error is in SSD boot access and not in Bios itself.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Duzaros

Tinkerer

Hi! Thanks for the advice so far.
    I can access BIOS after removing the ssd. So thats good. The bootable usb however is still not available in boot menu. 
    Any idea on how to proceed from here?

• Duzaros

Tinkerer

Oh also Linux can no longer boot 'No bootable Device'. The SSD can be unlocked but that's all. 
  • MaClane
    In this case the error is in BootManager binding and not in Bios.
    You must disable SecureBoot, set to Uefi mode and enable BootMenu F12.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Duzaros

Tinkerer

SecureBoot is disabled, and BootMenu is enabled. It just doesn't show any devices. 
    I can not change 'Secure Boot Mode' on the 'Security' tab, its grey. I chan only change 'Secure Boot' on the 'Boot' tab from Enabled to disabled.
  • MaClane
    Did you create the superuser password?

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited October 2019
    do you mean the boot tab in bios, or the boot manager from f12? (with the bootable usb stick already plugged in)
  • Duzaros

Tinkerer

Yes so I could disable SecureBoot
  • Gawain
    and if you exit bios with the usb stick plugged in and try f12, what do you get?
  • Duzaros

Tinkerer

Nothing.
    Here is what it looks like. Security tab with SecureBoot enabled and disabled.
  • Gawain
    go to the boot tab and post a screenshot pls
  • Gawain
    edited October 2019
    (the boot tab in the bios)   - on your screenshot, secure boot mode says "standard", but on my swift, when secure boot is disabled in the boot tab, secure boot mode says "custom" in the security tab - in fact, if it is still set to disabled, could you toggle it to enable, save and exit the bios, then go back into the bios and toggle it back to disable?
  • Duzaros

Tinkerer

Here the other two screenshots
  • Duzaros

Tinkerer

Gawain said:
    (the boot tab in the bios)   - on your screenshot, secure boot mode says "standard", but on my swift, when secure boot is disabled in the boot tab, secure boot mode says "custom" in the security tab - in fact, if it is still set to disabled, could you toggle it to enable, save and exit the bios, then go back into the bios and toggle it back to disable?
    Already did. Also reset BIOS to default settings and cleard TPM. 
  • Gawain
    this bios is looking a bit odd to me looking at the same - see, in addition to what i mentioned about "standard" before, in the boot tab, i also have a "boot mode: uefi" line (that can't be changed.
  • Duzaros

Tinkerer

Gawain said:
    this bios is looking a bit odd to me looking at the same - see, in addition to what i mentioned about "standard" before, in the boot tab, i also have a "boot mode: uefi" line (that can't be changed.
    Do you have the sf114-32 or the previous one?
  • Gawain
    sf113, but the bios (insysde) is same.  what the version of it?
  • Duzaros

Tinkerer

Gawain said:
    sf113, but the bios (insysde) is same.  what the version of it?
    REV 5.0 V1.07