Acer Aspire V Nitro - One year old, recent GPU problems - Currently bad stuttering

lpmgm1
lpmgm1 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hey guys, im new here but let me just start with my computer specifications: 
Model: Aspire VN7- 593G
Proccessor: Intel i7 -7700HQ @ 2.8 ghz
Ram: 16 Gb
Memory: 500 GB SSD
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6 gb

Let me give some context, I bought this computer about a year ago in the united states. It has run well, but always a bit hot (95 - 100 Celcius). My ignorance of gaming made it so I never really saw this as an issue (I know, stupid). Anyways, 5 days ago, my GPU crashed playing CSGO. Or more so, my computers screen went black, and had to hard restart. Whenever I would run games, I would go from like 200 fps, 150 fps, 100 fps, 70 fps, 50 fps, then it would go to 10 fps in benchmarks and CSGO (and other games) until it would crash. Found out GPU was underperforming through some benchmarks as well. Also found out I have been playing way too hot. Yesterday, I un dusted my computer, turned off intel turbo boost, turned on acer CoolBoost tech. This is after having done a full system restart. Now my temps are good, and I dont think there is internal damage (or hope not). When explainig to a computer shop near me, they said I may have to re apply thermal paste, also dont hope to do this.

I have also: 
- Re installed uninstalled drivers
- Updated Drivers
+ I also leave my computer mounted on a plastic stand for airflow all the time. 
+ I have tried underclocking, no avail. 
+ I also always keep it plugged in 
+ Maximum, balanced power performance dont change anything (I have a custom plan with high performance but 99% Maxmimum function thing so it doesnt turbo CPU)

There was no driver update or windows update that caused this. I think my computer hit a breaking point. 

Anyways, today I tried benchmarking AC Oddysey. Before all of the above, it would run at 10 fps. Now i am getting inbetween 15 to 60 fps! Ater that it went from about 15 to 40-60. Better than a constant 10 fps, But the stuttering shows something is wrong. Here is a link given to me to show that benchmark for
proof: 
First: file:///C:/Users/liam/Documents/Assassin's%20Creed%20Odyssey/benchmark_reports/Report_2019-10-16_16-07.html 
Second: 
file:///C:/Users/liam/Documents/Assassin's%20Creed%20Odyssey/benchmark_reports/Report_2019-10-16_16-31.html

Anyways, could this have been a fluke? Do you think its heat damage? Do i need to repair it? Not sure how warranty works with having bought it in america and bring it home. Could the heat over a long time truly damaged the GPUs functionality? 

Answers

• lpmgm1
    edited October 2019
    ^^ realized i could edit so put this comment into the post
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Wow that's a lot of information and you have taken a lot of the right steps. The temps you mention are within spec but right at the upper end and could cause damage overtime. Repasting is a very common solution, thermal paste deteriorates over time and repasting is no big deal, use Grizzly Kryonaut and follow the instructions in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMIJ4ABxTWc. I would also replace the plastic mat with an inexpensive USB fan powered cooling pad, Targus is a good brand. Amazon carry both the paste and the pad.

Please click YES if I have helped answer your question, thank you

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    edited October 2019

Let us know if you need more help

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• lpmgm1
    Thank you! I do not trust myself with re-pasting because I lack all attention to detail and my hands shake so I will be having a friend help me soon, I will get back and see if it works!
  • andylb
    lpmgm1 said:
    Thank you! I do not trust myself with re-pasting because I lack all attention to detail and my hands shake so I will be having a friend help me soon, I will get back and see if it works!

Please click YES if I answered your question, thank you

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★