TC-885 UR-19 HDD upgrade

Options
Jakester55
Jakester55 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
The unit comes with a 1TB hdd. I would like to install a larger drive. Can this be done? I tried and the unit would not boot.

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sure, but you will have to clone your existing drive to the new one so you can boot. There are three SATA ports on the motherboard, one for the existing HDD, one for the ODD and the third for an expansion drive. You will likely want to connect the new drive to the third (requires an extra SATA cable) and to power then boot up and clone the old drive to the new one. Since the new drive is larger than the old make sure the cloning software leaves the partition sizes alone except for the C: partition. Once the process is done just power back down, swap the new drive in place of the old one and boot back up. Verify everything is working correctly and you should be good to go.Be aware that the TC-885 also has an M.2 SSD slot that supports Intel Optane memory or a NVMe SSD. If you'd like a faster machine think about populating that.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ODD is Optical Disk Drive. If it came with a SSD it should have been in the M.2 slot, not connected to a SATA. If a SSD has been added and the M.2 slot wasn't noticed that might explain a SATA connection. Cloning software is available from many different vendors, EaseUS and Macrium come to mind as popular examples. It copies the entire contents of one drive to another, including all partitions.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sure, but you will have to clone your existing drive to the new one so you can boot. There are three SATA ports on the motherboard, one for the existing HDD, one for the ODD and the third for an expansion drive. You will likely want to connect the new drive to the third (requires an extra SATA cable) and to power then boot up and clone the old drive to the new one. Since the new drive is larger than the old make sure the cloning software leaves the partition sizes alone except for the C: partition. Once the process is done just power back down, swap the new drive in place of the old one and boot back up. Verify everything is working correctly and you should be good to go.Be aware that the TC-885 also has an M.2 SSD slot that supports Intel Optane memory or a NVMe SSD. If you'd like a faster machine think about populating that.

• Jakester55
    Options
    I did not see an unused sata port If I remember correctly they were all used. One for the HDd one for the SSd and one that went to something I did not recognize. Dumb question how do you clone a drive? 
  • Jakester55
    Options
    What is the ODD?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ODD is Optical Disk Drive. If it came with a SSD it should have been in the M.2 slot, not connected to a SATA. If a SSD has been added and the M.2 slot wasn't noticed that might explain a SATA connection. Cloning software is available from many different vendors, EaseUS and Macrium come to mind as popular examples. It copies the entire contents of one drive to another, including all partitions.