Aspire e5-473 - Good color profile needed, ICC or ICM file needed - Please help!

Coyot51
Coyot51 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi!
I recently had an second-hand Aspire e5-473. Works great, now with Win10, 8GB RAM, SSD... but the colors on the screen are... I just can´t describe it.
So I'd really like to find a way to have the colors right. Color calibration in Window 10 is OK but I can´t obtain good results using this simple method.
I'm looking for ICC or ICM files to have the right color profile back in my laptop. But Google hasn't been useful so far. :(
The monitor is LG LP140WH8-TPA1. Thanks for your help!

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,851 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Try it. If it doesn't seem to do anything, you might try iobit's DriverBooster freeware to see if it picks up anything. If still no joy, then try billsey's suggestion of a new LCD ribbon cable since they're fairly cheap. Conductor breaks in the hinge area are quite common. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Press Win+R. Enter 'msinfo32'. In the right pane what is the BIOS & VBIOS version numbers? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Coyot51

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Press Win+R. Enter 'msinfo32'. In the right pane what is the BIOS & VBIOS version numbers? Jack E/NJ
    Hi, JackE. Thanx a lot for the concern
    Well, BIOS is up to date, v.1.13.
    I guess my only hope is ICC or ICM file.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    Can you show us some pictures with the problem visible? You can get pretty significant color shifts if the cable between the motherboard and display is starting to break.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    >>>Now with Win10>>> I just can´t describe it.>>>
    >>>Can you show us some pictures with the problem visible?>>>

And therein lies 3 problems. (1) Win10 (2) Can't describe it (3) Can't see it either--- at least on my screen. :)   If the issue is the same with Win8.1, it's likely hardware as  billsey  suggests. Or you' haver very discriminating color perception that you just can't describle. =)    Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Coyot51

Tinkerer

edited October 2019
    billsey said:
    Can you show us some pictures with the problem visible? You can get pretty significant color shifts if the cable between the motherboard and display is starting to break.
    Hi, Billsey.
    Well, I guess it's my fault, no to manage perfectly your language... the colors are ugly but nothing from outer space. The colors are quite over saturated (and it's TN, no IPS). When I try to use the Win10 color calibration, the software make me have the gamma at its lowest value... the colors doesn't look more realistic and everything looks dull... no life... for sure, with such a low gamma. I think the laptop came with Win7 and I'm quite sure the "factory" color settings were right at that time. I bought the laptop second hand, with some crappy Win10 version... ok, without some *****-ware from MS but not very stable though... and it was in spanish. I installed an original 1903 Win10 from zero. And now I'm using the computer, I really see that the colors are falsy. No hardware trouble here, just bad bad bad color profile. So that's why I need some ICC or ICM file for the Apire E5-473 monitor (LG LP140WH8-TPA1).
    Billsey, I do really appreciate your concern.
  • Coyot51

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>Now with Win10>>> I just can´t describe it.>>>
    >>>Can you show us some pictures with the problem visible?>>>

And therein lies 3 problems. (1) Win10 (2) Can't describe it (3) Can't see it either--- at least on my screen. :)   If the issue is the same with Win8.1, it's likely hardware as  billsey  suggests. Or you' haver very discriminating color perception that you just can't describle. =)    Jack E/NJ 

Hehehe... your concern is really really appreciated here, JackE. :)
    No hardware mess here. Just ***** ugly colors.
    Well, I guess it's my fault, no to manage perfectly your language... the colors are ugly but nothing from outer space. The colors are quite over saturated (and it's TN, no IPS). When I try to use the Win10 color calibration, the software makes me have the gamma at its lowest value... then the colors doesn't look more realistic and everything looks dull... no life... for sure, with such a low gamma. I think the laptop came with Win7 and I'm quite sure the "factory" color settings were right at that time. I bought the laptop second hand, with some crappy Win10 version... ok, without some *****-ware from MS but not very stable though... and it was in spanish. I installed an original 1903 Win10 from zero. And now I'm using the computer, I really see that the colors are falsy. No hardware trouble here, just bad bad bad color profile. So that's why I need some ICC or ICM file for the Apire E5-473 monitor (LG LP140WH8-TPA1).
    Or must I spend money bying some Spider-thing, hardware calibrator... 
  • JackE
    >>>I think the laptop came with Win7 and I'm quite sure the "factory" color settings were right at that time.>>>

How can you be quite sure since this was a second hand machine? Unless Win7 was a special installation, the E5-473 only came with factory installed  Win8.1 or Win10. You could try to install the Win8.1 drivers in Win10's Win8.1 compatibility mode to see if you can achieve a less washed out colors. Choose ALL to make sure all the available ACER drivers are presented.   https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/5990?b=1 Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Coyot51

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>I think the laptop came with Win7 and I'm quite sure the "factory" color settings were right at that time.>>>

How can you be quite sure since this was a second hand machine? Unless Win7 was a special installation, the E5-473 only came with factory installed  Win8.1 or Win10. You could try to install the Win8.1 drivers in Win10's Win8.1 compatibility mode to see if you can achieve a less washed out colors. Choose ALL to make sure all the available ACER drivers are presented.   https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/5990?b=1 Jack E/NJ 

OK... listing all available drivers for Win8.1, I see VGA Driver (Intel). VGA? Is this the only "graphics" file?
    Thanks, JackE.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Try it. If it doesn't seem to do anything, you might try iobit's DriverBooster freeware to see if it picks up anything. If still no joy, then try billsey's suggestion of a new LCD ribbon cable since they're fairly cheap. Conductor breaks in the hinge area are quite common. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Coyot51

Tinkerer

JackE said:

Driver Booster is into my must have software and I already did it. 
    I'll try the other options but I really was thinking findingTHE right ICC file would be the simpliest solution.
    Thanks, anyway, guys!