windows 8.1

Options
hkrisz990
hkrisz990 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,
Is it possible defaualt windows 8.1 from an acer aspire e15 completely been swipped off? 

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In my opinion Win8.x would be more stable on your machine than Win10 and has extended support till 2023. Unlike earlier Windows versions, each new major Win10 update is almost like an entirely new Windows version released on a rapid-fire 6-8 month cycle with each update support ending about 18 months later.

These major Win10 updates can and have created major headaches in newer Win10 machines that are only a year or so old.

That being said, it's your decision to try it to see how many headaches you get.  But I think the freebie period for such an update has expired. If it were mine, I'd stay with Win8.1.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• hkrisz990
    Options
    And do you have any idea where can I find my MS licence key? 
    Already checked the bottom of the laptop and I found the SNID. 
  • JackE
    Options
    Go to the command prompt. Enter 'wmic os get serialnumber'. The result is the ACER OEM windows license key on the mainboard. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hkrisz990
    Options
    I tell you what is the real problem is. 
    I have a non genuine windows 7 on it and I would like to get my default windows 8 or 8.1 dont really remember which one came with the laptop. 
    Is there any idea how could I do that? 

• JackE
    Options
    You have a choice. You can get the original ACER-flavored Win8x install stick from the ACER store for about $50 based on your machine's SNID if you bought the system in US or CAN.. Or you can make the Microsoft generic Win8x install stick version for free at  this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home . The generic version may require downloading and installing ACER device drivers that may or may not have some incompatiblities with generic system files. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hkrisz990
    Options
    Brilliant! 
    If I download the windows from the MS website, will I be able to upgrade it to Windows 10?
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In my opinion Win8.x would be more stable on your machine than Win10 and has extended support till 2023. Unlike earlier Windows versions, each new major Win10 update is almost like an entirely new Windows version released on a rapid-fire 6-8 month cycle with each update support ending about 18 months later.

These major Win10 updates can and have created major headaches in newer Win10 machines that are only a year or so old.

That being said, it's your decision to try it to see how many headaches you get.  But I think the freebie period for such an update has expired. If it were mine, I'd stay with Win8.1.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• hkrisz990
    Options
    Thanks for your opinion. The fact is for my future work I need Windows 10. I studying Comptia A+ and Windows 10 is which I will use and I need to know the system. 
    Another question, if I download Windows 8.x will be get the licence key/ product key? 
  • hkrisz990
    Options
    Hi man, 

Any idea why my laptop does not want to boot from USB. I did downloaded the windows 8.1 from the link which you added to the previous comments. 
    I changed the boot order in the BIOS also tried to with legacy boot and with UIFE boot. Boot on F12 is enabled and D2D boot is enabled as well. 
    There shouldn’t be any problem with the stick as I bought it yesterday and one of the IT guy at my company made it bootable and put the win 8.1 on it.

• JackE
    Options
    If Win8.x was factory installed, and you later installed Win7, the HDD was likely converted to MBR partitioning and the BIOS set to legacy mode. To install Win8.x, you must first set BIOS to UEFI mode. The USB stick must also be placed first in the boot order in the BOOT tab in UEFI mode. If the stick isn't recognized, this means that it is also MBR partitioned. It must be GPT partitioned to be recognized in UEFI mode. Once the GPT stick is recognized in UEFI mode, it should then re-partition the HDD from MBR to GPT partitioning and install Win8.x.

You only have a Win8.x license embedded on your mainboard, not Win10. The freebie Win10 upgrade period ended years ago. You will now have to pay for a Microsoft license to activate Win10 on this machine.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hkrisz990
    Options
    Okay. I see. 
    Actually that was my plan but if I won’t able to do the upgrade than its not point for to install win8x. 
    Thanks you very much all of your help. 
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes, you can do the Win10 upgrade directly from Win7 ---- bypass Win8.x altogether ---- but it's still gonna cost you a Microsoft Win10 licensing fee. You should really try to find out directly from Microsoft what the fee would be if you go from Win7 to Win10 or from Win8.x to Win10. I think they'll be the same. Nonetheless, if you really need Win10 for the A+ course, then somehow you seem to be between a Microsoft rock and a Microsoft hard place unless it's included as part of the course fee.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ