Battery not charging on the ACER 5672WLMI...Battery replaced.

Options
motox22a
motox22a Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
So this laptop is about 13 years old but still works great and is running Windows 10 Home (32-bit) 1809. It's been running Windows 10 for about 5 years...
A week ago the laptop battery stopped charging...Figuring the battery finally went bad after all these years I ordered a replacement battery.
Got the replacement battery today and found the new battery is also not charging. The laptop powers on fine with the original AC Adapter.
I checked the adapter with a digital volt meter and found that it powers on and off anywhere from 15 to 19v and like I said the laptops powers
on fine when plugged into the orignal AC Adapter so I'm assuming that the adapter is not the issue. At this point I am thinking that it is the
charging circuit that is the problem. I do not know if this laptop has a separate charging circuit from the motherboard as I don't have a schematic.
I would have no problem opening this laptop and replacing a charging board (I've opened the laptop before). I searched to see if anybody has a
charging board for this laptop but didn't find any? Does this laptop use a separate charging board or is it built on to the motherboard itself?

Answers

• motox22a
    Options
    I rechecked the AC Adapter this time putting a paper clip in the center terminal as my DVOM probe could not get inside.
    I verified that I have a solid 19.4V coming from the AC adapter so the adapter is definitely not the problem.
    I am wondering if the jack connection could be the issue. Like I said the laptop powers up fine plugged into the
    AC adapter. It's just not charging. It seems to me that if it powers up with the AC Adapter plugged in then the jack would
    not be the issue but I've seen in another video with a different laptop that the jack was causing a charging issue...hmm....
  • motox22a
    Options
    Found my Targus Universal Laptop Power supply (Has multiple plug options)...Plugged this power supply in with the appropriate plug and powered on...
    SAME THING...0 Percent and Charging...But it never charges...Can power off and let the charge light stay illuminated but it never charges with the laptop powered off either. So it looks like the Charging Circuit is bad. It also looks like the charging circuit on this laptop is built on to the motherboard. Although there are some inexpensive ones available on Ebay if I were to swap the motherboard Windows 10 would not reactivate with a different motherboard and would want me to enter a new license. I'm not going to spend $100 on a Windows 10 license so looks like this laptop will stay as a plugged in laptop only on UPS for backup...Too bad I wasted the 26 dollars on the battery but would not have known otherwise.