Acer AN515-54 Bios A09 no longer allows AHCI instead of RST

Options
jonnyv
jonnyv Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi all,

I run a AN515-54-55YM (i5-9300h and GT1050) with a 970 evo plus M2, the stock hdd removed and 16Gb of ram.  I've been running arch like this for a while without any issues.

Today I updated the bios from A05 to A09 and I can no longer boot.  I took screenshots of the previous bios pages before upgrading and the "Storage Device Configuration" that was on the Advancesd tab is no longer there.  Under here, there used to be the option to go RST to AHCI which is what I was using.  Right now, the information tab only shows RST.

Any idea how to fix this?  I've already tried to reset to defaults and flash the previous bios without success.

thanks

Comments

• jonnyv
    jonnyv Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I was finally able to downgrade to be able to reset it to AHCI. 

Most of the instructions floating around here were a good starting point on how to do that (i.e. use 7zip or winrar to extract the bios file).  The problem with this approach is that when you do the extract, you get all the files in it except for the firmware itself (in my case it was called isflash.bin and was 18MB). A youtube video that I found (video id: Redl2Ec6I9M) pointed out if you run the bios upgrade exe, it saves the bin file in a temp folder while the application is running in windows.

In my case, since I don't run windows, I used woeusb to put a windows 10 installation iso onto a usb key.  I copied both the bios update file there and once the windows setup started I hit Shift-F10 to get a command prompt.  From there I went to c:\  (your usb key becomes C:\) and ran the bios flash program.  As expected it ran but I got a prompt about my bios being newer.  Before clicking ok, I went into x:\windows\temp (you can see windows variables by running the set command).  In there I found a folder which had the contents of the bios file with the firmware file.  I copied it onto my usb for safe keeping.  I clicked ok on the message for the flash software.  When it exited, that temp folder disappeared.

I then went to my copy on the usb key, edited the platform.ini (notepad platform.ini) and changed the flag=2 to flag=0 under the bios version check.  I then ran H2OFFT-Wx64.exe in that folder which relaunched the flash program.  This time it didn't complain about the version and it flashed 1.05.

Once done, I had to reset my bios settings to what they should be, booted from an arch install usb key and then ran grub-install against my existing partitions and rebooted.  Once done, my OS booted as it was supposed to.
This discussion has been closed.