Solved: Acer Easystore H340 with Failed Marvell Yukon Card

johnateb
johnateb Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
For the 1 or 2 people still running this server, or have one serving as a doorstop due to a dead network card I though I'd share a solution I stumbled across.

Aspire easyStore H340
Marvell Yukon 88E8071 PCI-E Gigabit
Current OS  Ubuntu 18.04 Server

Several years ago I began getting intermittent network connectivity issues with my Marvell Yukon Gigabit LAN connection, and resolved that issue by purchasing a USB 100MB LAN adapter.   A year or two later I begin getting failures at boot with HD lights 1 and 2 lit, and over time the boot failures were almost constant.   The H340 Service Manual on manualslib indicates this is a LAN Controller issue.

I ordered the diagnostic video adapter (after all these years running with a headless machine!)  "VGA Adapter for Acer Aspire H340" for about $30 on eBay.  After plugging it in, per the Service Manual I looked for a suitable jumper for JP3 to enable Diagnostic mode, and not finding one I used the one from JP1 (BIOS Recovery Jumper).  So now I have JP1 unjumpered and JP3 jumpered.    The VGA Adapter cable works flawlessly and I could watch the POST on a connected monitor, and to my surprise the server booted normally!  I tested several reboots and coldstarts and the boot error has not recurred;  I closed the box up with the short VGA Adapter cable tucked inside and have left the jumpers in this position for now.

The only effect I have noted is that the Yukon LAN Controller no longer appears on my hardware list but the USB LAN 100MB adapter is providing a tolerable network solution. 

Cheers,

John

Answers