Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Chromebook makes high pitched whirling sound and won't charge

becca_klinebecca_kline Posts: 1Member Newbie
I've had an Acer Chromebook for a little over a year now. Aside from a couple of months ago when it wouldn't connect/stay connected to my school's WiFi, I have had no major issues with it. Until last night. My battery got low so I plugged it in like normal, except this time it made a high pitched whirring/whining noise, so I unplugged it and it stopped making the noise. My battery got down to 1% so I plugged it back in and it made the same noise. I closed the screen and it stopped making the noise, so I left it plugged in and went to sleep. When I woke up this morning and turned it back on, once it was on it started making the noise again and it was still on 1%. I've been using it plugged in for about an hour now, every few minutes or so the noise stops for about 15-30 seconds. My laptop shows the charging symbol but despite having been plugged in for almost 12 hours, it still is on 1%. I performed a hard reset since everything I have on my Chromebook is stored in my google drive and that didn't help either. I googled the issue and the exact thing hasn't seemed to have happened to anybody else. I tried google support and they didn't have any answers for it there aside from contact the manufacturer. I tried doing that I spoke to a nice gentleman who told me that Chromebook was still under warranty and tried to transfer me to another department but nobody picked up. I use my Chromebook to take notes in 4 of my 7 classes so I really can't have it dying on me before I even get to class. Does anybody know if there's any way for me to fix it myself or will I have to take it someplace to get it fixed?

FAQ & Answers

• SharanjiSharanji Posts: 4,081ACE Pathfinder
    edited October 5
    becca_kline 
    To fix some Chromebook problems, you might need to reset your Chromebook hardware, also called a hard reset.
    Turn off your Chromebook.
    Press and hold Refresh Refresh + tap Power Power
    When your Chromebook starts up, release Refresh Refresh.

If you are able to boot your chromebook, You can also reset your Chromebook to its original factory state from the sign-in screen by pressing Shift + Ctrl + Alt + R and clicking Restart.
    If neither solution works and your Chromebook is less than 12 months old, contact manufacturer support for warranty service.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!