Computer has no bootable drive - Aspire TC-780-ACK13

kargen
kargen Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
The computer is an Aspire TC-780-ACK13 with windows 10. When powered up I get "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device" I've check the hard drive and it seems fine and using a CMD prompt I can see the files. I've tried an SFC scan CHKDSK and MBR fixes but none worked. I also tried to restore to factory default but am told the disk is locked. I've tried several things using CMD prompt to unlock drive but none have worked. I was able to retrieve the personal files so that isn't an issue. Is there something else I can try to get the computer working again?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The first step I'd try is the Acer recovery which will reinstall everything from the factory image. From there you will have lots and lots of Windows updates but will still have the original set of apps. If that doesn't work you should have your key stored in the BIOS so you should be able to do a clean install without buying a new license. Just download the ISO from Microsoft and do the install with it wiping and restoring partitions. You already have your data off, but you will have to reinstall your apps.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    @kargen
    Try the below step in the link and check. It might fix the issue
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/544848/acer-s7-391-fail-to-boot-no-bootable-device-the-drive-where-windows-is-installed-is-locked

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • kargen
    I tried the link. I determined I needed to use Part 2 for a GPT Partition Table. At step nine I type in "cd /d S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\" and get the following "The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted." Not sure what to try next. I have a new hard drive so the best answer might be purchase windows 10 again and try a new install? Haven't completely given up finding a fix though. 
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    The first step I'd try is the Acer recovery which will reinstall everything from the factory image. From there you will have lots and lots of Windows updates but will still have the original set of apps. If that doesn't work you should have your key stored in the BIOS so you should be able to do a clean install without buying a new license. Just download the ISO from Microsoft and do the install with it wiping and restoring partitions. You already have your data off, but you will have to reinstall your apps.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kargen
    Acer recovery doesn't work as it tells me either the drive is locked. When I go through the steps to unlock the drive I get an error saying no suitable files were found or something like that. I didn't actually write that one down.  I'm beginning the think even though I was able to retrieve the files from the hard drive that it might be corrupted. I'm going to do as you suggested with the new install and if that doesn't work I'll see if swapping out hard drives will work.
  • billsey
    You could run the deep scan chkdsk to verify the drive itself is OK.
  • kargen
    edited October 2019
    I had to go with a fresh install from an ISO. 

Thanks for the help.