Acer Chromebook Spin 15 ?

GaryL
GaryL Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
If I buy an external USB DVD/CD writer is it possible to Rip music CDs to it and then load the music to an MP3 player? Best Buy says NO but I don't believe it. If it is possible can anyone provide the model of the DVD/CD writer that will work? I can't use MS Windows here on a very limited satellite internet connection. Help me if you can Please.

GaryL

Comments

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084
    edited October 2019
    @GaryL

Kindly follow the details below..

Chrome OS doesn't include any ripping software. ... If you want to rip music CDs or DVD movies, you have to use another machine that has Windows, Mac OSX or Linux. You can then transfer those media files to your Chromebook

Write Files
    Unfortunately, there is no way to write files to an optical disk for Chromebook. USB devices, including external DVD drives, function as read-only. You can read the information on a disk as long as it’s in an accepted format, but you cannot write information to it.

Play CDs and DVDs
    You can’t play music CDs or DVD videos with a Chromebook DVD drive.

Why not?

Chrome OS does not support optical disks to let you play music or movies. The primary reason for this is that Chrome OS doesn’t come with codecs. Codecs are necessary to compress and decompress large files like DVD videos.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• GaryL
    GaryL Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Thank you Mohan for your well explained response. I have the CB laptop simply because my internet is from satellite with severe monthly data caps. Windows based units and all Apple devices must have any and all "Auto Update" features turned off because if the updates happen I end up with all of my data allotment gone in a flash. I want to get all of my CD collection, about 200+ discs transferred or ripped and loaded into a couple MP3 players so I can have my music portable. It will be a long and slow task but I think what you have told me and based on my lack of unlimited internet services I will have to find someone with the right equipment, connection, knowledge and time to do the ripping and loading for a fee.