Acer travelmate P614-51 Thunderbolt/USB-C charging

Hello all,
I seem to have an issue where USB-C charging for the laptop occasionally works. It behaves equally under both linux and windows. In about one in 10 restarts, I can get the thunderbolt/usbC port to charge the laptop from a 60w power adapter. I found a similar post for this laptop saying it does not support charging via the USB-C, visible here, however, the thunderbolt chipset used in this device supports it, and my laptop atleast marginally supports it (as of bios version 1.01 and 1.03). I am not seeing anything relevant in dmesg or any other modules loaded/unloaded under linux between when it does and does not function, so it appears to be a bios issue. Has anyone else seen this?

USB-c charging is one of the reasons I bought this laptop. Unfortunately I have been plagued with about half a dozen issues with this laptop, half of which seem to be bios related.

Thank you, any help is appreciated.
Best regards,
Matt

Comments

• JackEJackE ACE Posts: 24,468 Trailblazer
    Since it's intermittent, I'd guess the port's mainboard connector needs to be re-seated a few time to clean and firm up its contacts. Is this machine still under warranty because the bottom cover would have to be removed? Jack E/NJ
    Jack E/NJ
  • N2EEEN2EEE Member Posts: 12 New User
    JackE said:
    Since it's intermittent, I'd guess the port's mainboard connector needs to be re-seated a few time to clean and firm up its contacts. Is this machine still under warranty because the bottom cover would have to be removed? Jack E/NJ
    Thank you for commenting,
    I would be leaning toward that, but USB-C is still fully functional, and the issue can reappear when booting without moving the laptop. Though it could be a bad bga ball on the thunderbolt controller since some of the time it gets initialized, and some of the time it doesn't. 

Best regards,
    Matt