Acer Aspire ES1-332 Linux kubuntu 18.04 unable to find bottable device

SyslakSyslak Member Posts: 3 New User
edited September 2019 in Linux
I tried installing linux kubuntu to my Acer Aspire ES1-332. When booting i get an error "no bootable device found". Solutions online says to go into bios and choose to boot from UEFI. The problem is that I dont get the option to boot from UEFI in the bios like the solutions says. Can someone help me? Im going to replace windows for Linux so i currenty have no OS. HELP!

FAQ & Answers

• GawainGawain Member Posts: 351 Seasoned Practitioner
    edited September 2019
    in the bios, try turning "secure boot" off.  I'm not a kubuntu user, but do get the same error after an install with manjaro if secure boot is enabled.  (this is on the assumption the installation went without a hitch)
  • SyslakSyslak Member Posts: 3 New User

Gawain said:
    in the bios, try turning "secure boot" off.  I'm not a kubuntu user, but do get the same error after an install with manjaro if secure boot is enabled.  (this is on the assumption the installation went without a hitch)
    The installations went without a hitch. I have tried turning off "secure boot" but it is still not working.
  • JordanBJordanB ACE Posts: 3,689 Pathfinder
    edited October 2019
    The vast majority of people with Apollo Lake use the solution by @Sladek90 in link below.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/862946/unable-to-install-ubuntu-on-acer-aspire-es1-533

It's important to note that he didn't have an eMMC.  If you have eMMC, you have to figure out what to call eMMC????----not sda1 or sda2.  Search forum for more specifics. 

If you still have trouble, checkout link below.  It should also help if you have eMMC.

https://community.acer.com/de/discussion/516128/ubuntu-auf-aspire-es1-332-p9qy

https://translate.google.com/
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanBJordanB ACE Posts: 3,689 Pathfinder
    edited October 2019
    I'll post this for anyone stumbling upon this thread.  This topic is about Apollo Lake ES1-332  Apollo Lake is unique.  If you don't have Apollo Lake, then you should ignore this thread (or ignore my posts)  ;)

If your linux USB is not bootable, then you have to create a UEFI bootable USB.  Most people use rufus.  It's just a matter of downloading the 64 bit linux iso and then download rufus.....and use rufus to create the USB.  Use the rufus settings:  GPT, UEFI (non-CSM), FAT32.

https://rufus.ie/

Partition Scheme:  GPT
    Target System:  UEFI (non-CSM)
    File System:  FAT32

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • SyslakSyslak Member Posts: 3 New User
    It detects the EFI bootloaders when i boot grub from a bootable USB. The pc boots and works fine. But i need to plug in the USB with grub every time i reboot. I dont know why or how to fix this.