Aspire S7 black screen and fan not running

MIKETBRUNKEN
MIKETBRUNKEN Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
My S7 no longer boots. It shows the blue power light and the red light when the power supply is connected, but the screen remains black. I plugged an external monitor in and it remains black as well. I noticed that the fan is not running. Could this be the cause? Will replacing the fan resolve this issue? Thanks for the help!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Remove the charger. Gently insert a paperclip into the reset pinhole on the bottom for about 10 seconds. Let the machine sit for 15mins before plugging the charger back in. Then try to turn it on again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MIKETBRUNKEN
    Thanks for the idea, but I've tried that. In addition, it cannot get to the BIOS settings. 
  • JackE
    Remove the charger again. Re-Insert and hold the paperclip into pinhole. While still holding the paperclip in, press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. Then let the machine set again for about 15mins before plugging the charger back in and trying to turn it on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MIKETBRUNKEN
    That didn't work either. It did get very warm with the power plugged in. I have a feeling that something on the motherboard is toast. 
  • MIKETBRUNKEN
    After leaving it "running" without the power cord plugged in, it booted to the bios screen. I then exited the bios and windows started. Making some backups now. Hopefully it holds on
  • MIKETBRUNKEN
    Thanks for your help. The laptop has been running well for the last hour+. Rebooted several times with no issues.
  • JackE
    If it booted at all without the charger, then the last reset succeeded. If you can get into ControlPanel without the charger, search 'power plan'. Click 'choose a power plan' in the left pane. Click 'power saver' if its set to balanced or hi performance. Then try to reboot plugged in again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ