I have 8gb total memory installed, but only 6.90gb is usable. Aspire 3 A315-41G

Options
Gnosticx
Gnosticx Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
My unit is and Acer Aspire 3 A315-41G. 8gb total memory installed, but only 6.90gb is usable. I know that video memory is shared, but isn't this unit has a dedicated GPU?

Best Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Good evening Gnosticx !

Even devices that have a dedicated GPU, the system reserves part of the RAM due to the fact that the processors have an APU system (processor + integrated GPU).
    This value is dynamic and controlled by the system itself.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Options
    What EXACT model of the laptop?
    Example: A315-41G-

By default this series supports up to a maximum of 32Gb RAM (2 slots, 2x16Gb each) So-DIMM DDR4 2400Mhz

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If my answers helped you, check accept to post as resolved and help others in the forum!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

Answers

• GLM
    GLM Member Posts: 52 Troubleshooter
    Options
    may i see your Memory Info?Nav.  to search bar , Type Task manager , 

take a Screenhot Under MEMORY .

• Gnosticx

Tinkerer

Options
    Here is the Screenshot.

• MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Good evening Gnosticx !

Even devices that have a dedicated GPU, the system reserves part of the RAM due to the fact that the processors have an APU system (processor + integrated GPU).

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Gnosticx

Tinkerer

Options
    MaClane said:
    Good evening Gnosticx !

Thanks MaClane, in line with question, would you know the max memory this laptop can handle? you think I can put 2 8gb stick?
  • MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Options
    What EXACT model of the laptop?
    Example: A315-41G-

By default this series supports up to a maximum of 32Gb RAM (2 slots, 2x16Gb each) So-DIMM DDR4 2400Mhz

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Gnosticx

Tinkerer

Options
    I see thanks! Also, I noticed that even if I am playing a game, the dedicated GPU isn't running, only the built-in GPU, why is that?

• MaClane
    Options
    You should set the games and applications on the Adrenalin dashboard so that the dedicated GPU is the main one to render.

Also, you must follow this basic setting:

1- all drivers and windows must be properly updated
    2- the device must be set to use the high performance power plan of Windows
    3- the battery must be charged 100% before playing
    4- Battery should be set to advanced power options for maximum performance.
    5- Game applications must be set in dedicated GPU Dashboard (AMD or Nvida if you have one) to be the main
    6- The appliance must be connected directly to a properly grounded power outlet without any power adapter.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Gnosticx

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks MaClane, such a big help...
  • MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If my answers helped you, check accept to post as resolved and help others in the forum!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™