Closed Captioning on Chromebook 15, Series CB3-532

Lauren66
Lauren66 Member Posts: 45 Troubleshooter
I couldn't figure out how to turn on CC so I used a Windows computer to do it for one specific show. But now everything on the Netflix app on the Chromebook has CC turned on, so I have the same problem in reverse. How do I just have CC for the show I want it on?

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hi!!

@Lauren66   

To disable them:
    1. Select Settings.
    2. Select Ease of access.
    3. Select Closed Captioning.
    4. Select Closed Captioning Off.
    5. Save your settings and exit, then try watching your TV show or movie again.
    For additional help regarding Netflix, just visit 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• Lauren66
    Oh, Balatekie, you have just opened the door to so many more questions! Notifications, Downloads, Diagnostics, Legal - those are the choices under Settings in the Netflix app. There doesn't seem to be an "ease of access." Also, it refers to "them." Does this mean that they are either ON for everything or OFF for everything? It sounds like that would be the only option if I ever did find the Ease of Access section.     Your link to Netflix Help mentions choosing a "preferred subtitle language" and says it will stay set to that preference, but, as I said, I don't even see that option.     (Netflix is charging for help? Really? 30 days free? Or are they trying to get you to sign up for Netflix in the Help Center? Seems like an odd place to advertise. Why would you be in the Help Center if you didn't have Netflix?) 

I have the feeling that this is another of those rabbit holes like "toggling the touchpad off and on" and "shutting down the computer" so that you actually need to use the power button to turn it back on, except that now I'm dealing with an app instead of an OS.     I appreciate that you took the time to respond. I'll look at this again tomorrow and see if things seem clearer to me then.    
  • Lauren66
    I spent about 30 minutes with 2 different people from Netflix chat today and finally found out how to turn the subtitles on or off for each individual program. I had to use a Windows computer to turn them on for a show I wanted to watch on the Chromebook in the first place, but then they were on for every show I watched. In case anyone else cares, here's what you do:

>Start the show playing and then pause it as you normally would.

>In the middle of the screen, down below the white (or red) line that tells you how much time is remaining in the show, try to click on what you can see of a white rectangle. (I really think that the black space that is the shelf is hiding this icon. It took many tries for me to finally be able to find a little piece of it and click on it.) I had to keep moving the mouse cursor around to keep it visible for more than about 1 second. This gives you access to Audio and Subtitles.

>Once you have that option you can easily turn them on or off, choose the language, whatever. And it seems that once I was finally able to click on it for one show, it became easy to get to for other shows. Now the icons show up easily.

For what it's worth.

• ccheatom9
    ccheatom9 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited February 2021
    I need the closed captioning, how do I turn it on?
  • Lauren66
    I just went through the steps in my comment above and it still works very easily that way. Now the choices seem to show up with no trouble at all so maybe they did something to make it easier.

Start the show, pause it, and then click anywhere within the screen to make the line show up that tells you how much time is left in the show. Under that line, without the struggle that I detailed above, I see the options of Speed, Lock, Episodes, Audio and Subtitles, Next Episode. You can turn them on and off easily with Audio and Subtitles.

I never had any success going through Settings to do this, as Balateki described, but maybe that would also work for you. Good luck!