96 Degree's whilst gaming. Predator Helios 300, I7 9750H, RTX2060

Arsechips
Arsechips Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello,

I recent purchased the Predator Helios 300, I7 9750H, RTX2060 and I love it but I have been experiencing high temps on the CPU. Whilst gaming the CPU can jump up to 98 degrees (mainly whilst playing Gears 5). I have been getting stutter becasue of this which pains my brain. This model comes undervolted already by 0.125V, so I increased it to 0.145V which was the max stable undervolt I could achieve. To my surprise this had no effect on the temps of the CPU, still hitting 98 Degrees. :( - So I buys me a laptop cooling pad. No difference again. 
I cannot take the stuttering and also I am quite worried that these temperatures will hurt the life span of the laptop. I have optimised the laptop by following Red-Sands instruction videos and I have noticed that turning turbo boost off causes even more performance issues in some games so I dont really consider that an option. I am not eager to re-paste as I do not wish to void the warranty and because even opening this expensive laptop gives me the big fear. My question is: Should I return this to wenst it came and get a replacement? (Still within a timeframe where I can do so) or is it normal behaviour for this laptop. I mean did I just get one with a bad paste? Did I loose the Silicon Lottery? If I get a new one will I be faced with the same issue? Has anyone got one of these with better temps than me? 
Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Arsechips

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    >>>did I just get one with a bad paste?>>>If I get a new one will I be faced with the same issue?

Perhaps & perhaps. What you apparently got there is a new machine that would technically be known as a lemon by the laptop cognoscenti. Return it to the vendor as defective without delay for a refund if you're pessimistic   :/ or a replacement if you're optimistic  :) .  Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• aceerfan
    aceerfan Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    I also have the same helios 300 with the rtx2060, my helios when playing pubg the temp never reach that high even without turbo but I game inside a air-con room with ambient temp of around 27c and a on a cooling pad.
    perhaps you can try a cooling pad and don't play inside a hot room.
    Tips 1: For gaming laptop make sure before you shut down especially after a heavy gaming session to let it cool down for at least 10min before you switch it off!

• Arsechips
    Arsechips Member Posts: 2 New User
    @ JackE & aceerfan,

Thank you for the replies. I did purchase a cooling pad but it hasnt made any difference. Plus I live in Ireland so the ambient tempurature here generally falls into the "I am freezing my ***** off" category. Still reaching those high temps of 98. The temp seems to spike up to 98 and then reduce quickly which I guess is the throttling mechanic kicking in. Strange thing is that Predator sense is giving me different temperature readings than Intel XTU. Predator sense is saying that my temps never go over 92 but XTU reads that the temps are clearly spiking to 98 before throttling down. None the less I am unhappy that the temps are so high, given that two cooling solutions have been applied, ie: Colling pad and maximum stable undervolt. 

I think I am going to return the laptop to the vendor this evening and swap it out for a replacement. Hopefully I wont get a lemon this time. I'll update with the temps from the new machine. Will be interested to see what difference there will be.

Can I ask what temps people are getting whilst gaming under heavy load?

Thanks,
    Arsechips
  • Zelmel
    Zelmel Member Posts: 22 Networker
    edited September 2019
    I also owned the new acer predator helios 300 with i7-9750H and RTX2060. The i7 is a hot processor, no doubt about that but our Predator Helios 300 is one of the laptop that able to cool down this beast efficiently. Hope you are getting replacement for the lemon set.

I done some stress test on my laptop. All test run under custom fan speed at 80% with coolboost on. Ambient temp 30. GPU set at extreme.

AIDA64 CPU test - max CPU temp 70
    CINE15 - max CPU temp 70
    Heaven GC Test - max GPU temp 66
    AIDA + Heaven Stress test - max temp CPU 93 GPU 75

I believed your laptop have some issue there. It is always better to play game at faster fan speed. Our predator sense auto fan speed slightly slower. Max fan speed is not really required.