Acer Aspire X1301 Firmware BIOS Update

Options
barrydit
barrydit Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Hello,

I am a computer technician, and I work for Computer Store in Grand Forks, BC Canada

And I have recently received a customers computer, and I have been receiving an error message at the end of the POST boot, "DISK BOOT FAILURE - INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". After cloning the drive, the message disappeared and booted to Windows 10. However the computer had begun to give the same error message as before, even with a brand new SATA HDD. Now I can no longer get past the POST screen while having a hard drive plugged into the machine. As it remains at a the bios screen, press Del: for setup or F12: for boot-able list. It will not take any keyboard inputs. And I can not turn on/off the Num Lock (simply as a test)-

My question here is, before I invest in a replacement motherboard, I am considering upgrading the BIOS to see if it could resolve the issues mentioned above. The question is simple, but I thought I would ask it anyways. According to the website https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ID/content/support-product/1285;-; at the bottom, there appears to be a BIOS/Firmware (UPDATE???). The current details on the computer is Acer Aspire X1301 / System Bios Version: P01-A2 / BIOS Release Date: 11/06/2009 ... According to the date of the "upload" it is 2010, but when I open the zip file the file dates are 2008-2009, as well as the Version # appears to be the very same one as on the computer. Is it worth upgrading the BIOS with the software?

I have access to and can successfully load a Virtual Windows 10 from a Thumb drive, and could possibly flash the bios from there just to see if it could resolve the issue, if it is worth doing so. I hope I have provided all the useful information, and all I ask is whether if the 2 BIOS firmware are same or can I flash the BIOS and have any luck.

Answers

• laurent_14
    Options
    Hello,
    I would try to flash the bios but with the DOS version. This current one is probably corrupted.
    France
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,345 Trailblazer
    Options
    IIRC the BIOS does an internal self test to verify it's not corrupted as one of the very first steps in POST so unless the downloaded BIOS is an updated version I wouldn't expect it to make much of a change. It sounds more like your SATA interface between the motherboard and drive is getting garbled. Have you tried swapping the cable? It could also be a noisy failing PSU that's causing issues, I'd try sticking a scope on the 5V and 12V power at the SATA connectors to see if it's OK.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I wouldn't automatically assume hardware or BIOS problem.  I would assume MBR infection (virus).

1. Backup important personal files
    2.  Create backup media using Acer Recovery Management software
    3.  Boot your Windows 10 USB
    4. Open a command prompt and completely wipe the SSD.  At the command prompt, type

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x   (x is drive with the OS)
    clean             (this will wipe the drive)
    exit
    exit

5. Clean install the OS  (don't use a cloned version)

I'm not an Acer employee.