Shadows on XR341CK display?

Options
Nactishe
Nactishe Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited February 14 in 2019 Archives
Please can anyone help me why I am seeing these shadows on my gaming monitor? Sorry - but ACER will not allow me to post in proper section!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Do they only show up when the display is a large single color like that? I'd guess it's difference in tension on the front of the display. Nothing to worry about, I see similar things with my monitors. You can't see them when anything exciting is happening. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Nactishe

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks @billsey - appreciate the response. Although you are correct, it's only visible with large single color backgrounds - it's rather annoying. I was debating sending it back to Acer for warranty repair, as it was nearly $900 - and I do expect near perfection for that price. The weird thing is - they are somewhat random. Sometimes they are hardly visible as in the bottom pic, vs. the top pic when it's at it's worst. Frustrated at the lack of Acer support - as I called them 3-times in hoping to get more than a "send it back" response.. :-(

It's a massively huge hassle to send this bad boy through the mail...
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yeah, I can see though why you get that response. They have specs for warranty repair as in how many pixels are bad, but not that I've heard of for things that are more in the eye of the beholder, as it were. It get into subjective where one person says it's just fine and another says it's not. If the technician who looks at it when you send it in doesn't have some data driven measurement to do, they are likely to just say 'it look good to me'. :( Are you still in the period where you can go back to the vendor? If so that's be a much quicker solution on your end. Swap it out for another to see if that has the same issue. With the curved screens it's really hard to get the tension the same over all areas. My curved screen (top one here) shows similar effects, but it doesn't bother me...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Nactishe

Tinkerer

Options
    Appreciate the feedback @billsey - unfortunately it's 2-years old. Still has a year left on warranty. Guess I just have to bite the bullet and send it in for "evaluation". Ughh.. 
  • DCJayhawk
    DCJayhawk Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have this SAME exact issue!!! Did you decide to send it in? I've read so many horror stories that I'm afraid to. My monitor is also having problems with Freesync; the screen goes black when I set it to anything above 30hz when I have Freesync turned on. Is this happening to anyone else?
  • Nactishe

Tinkerer

Options
    @DCJayhawk - That indeed does look like the same bizarre dark squiggles I had!

YES, I did end up sending it in. Major freaking hassle, and cost me $100 for shipping from New Jersey to Texas. The whole service process with Acer is just TERRIBLE. You would think someone, ANYONE would have contacted me for details on the problem or just some sort of communication on the return. All I ever received was a "NOREPLY" email, with instructions to return it. Even when I called the phone support all I ever received was a "it's under repair" message. Then suddenly, after weeks  under repair.. I got nervous and reached out to Acer corporate for some help (major hassle #2), the next day, the monitor went from "Under Repair" status to "Shipped" overnight. Exactly 19 calendar days after it arrived in Texas, I received my repaired monitor back. The problem was fixed, and according to the paperwork in the box, they replaced the LCD and the stand. I have run the monitor through it's paces and am giddy with how much I missed this monitor! The 27" I was using as replacement, was a joke compared to my baby's return.

I do not use freesync as I have an Nvidia 1080ti - but I do overclock the monitor to 85hz with perfect reliability. I am quite pleased with the replacement screen, but I was very nervous sending it back. Note, I did send a color printout showing the issue very clearly - with a written note to whomever opened the box, with the fact it was hard to see on some backgrounds, but painfully obvious on others. Dunno if that helped my case or not, but very glad it was fixed. 

Good luck!