Beware Aspire E 15 E5-575G57D4 hinge repair

wheezie
wheezie Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

The laptop has been great until the right hinge failed. My bad for opening and closing the laptop so i could fit it into laptop bag. After taking the laptop apart the only way to fix the issue isn't just the broken hinge but the tiny brass screw holders barely fastened in the cover tore out with about 1/16th inch plastic around all three.  To fix the issue a hinge or a pair will cost approx. $10. and e-bay sells a new cover for a shade under $70. This whole problem could be avoided if it wasn't for the poor design fastening the hinges to the cover. This isn't close to an isolated problem because e-bay has sold 434 covers so far in just one site. This design is not just for the 575G model either as the cover for this fits many. My advice is not to close the laptop unless you have to and find a case to carry the laptop in the open position. The laptop is in use now with one hinge and tape on the body to hold the right side together. I could see spending $80. for a fix but the poor design says no. Just passing something to think about if your model is like this and approaching 20 months. Beware!

Comments

• elbinkogrande
    elbinkogrande Member Posts: 1 New User
    After approximately 4 years of use, and handling the computer with great care, last night the right hinge popped as I was closing the computer.  This pulled a portion of the frame off the screen and had to be pressed back on to the screen.  I am now able to use the computer HOWEVER, if I were to close it, I would be forced to deal with the same issue.  

The computer, as it's now 4 years in my possession, is now out of warranty.  
    Apparently I am not at all the only one who has experienced.  FAULTY DESIGN appears to be the culprit.   Of course Acer customer service essentially states "tough luck, it's now your problem." 

Probably something you want to keep in mind when considering purchasing this, OR ANY, Acer product.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,791 Trailblazer
    edited January 2021
    After approximately 4 years of use, and handling the computer with great care, last night the right hinge popped as I was closing the computer.  This pulled a portion of the frame off the screen and had to be pressed back on to the screen.  I am now able to use the computer HOWEVER, if I were to close it, I would be forced to deal with the same issue.  

The computer, as it's now 4 years in my possession, is now out of warranty.  
    Apparently I am not at all the only one who has experienced.  FAULTY DESIGN appears to be the culprit.   Of course Acer customer service essentially states "tough luck, it's now your problem." 

Probably something you want to keep in mind when considering purchasing this, OR ANY, Acer product.
    This is a common fault with all laptops and NOT just with ACER laptops! I've experienced this allot with older laptops and its usually the left mounting hinge points that  break, this also depends on how often you open and close your laptop everyday and if you abuse that process? Also, the plastic material (no matter how good it is and/or and unless its made of carbon fibre, which its not) deteriorates with the different hot/cold climatic conditions, that make these mounting points weak so they break. Don't forget, there is allot of force that these mounting points have to secure with the sprung load(s) of the top lid and this is especially when the laptop is open and closed and/or abused.

My suggestion is, don't try to glue these mountings points, as that is only a temporary solution as the mounting points will break and you will have to do the job again. The only solution is to replace the bottom case (which is pretty cheap) for your laptop. I've done this to many laptops (especially the older ones) and its an easy job for an experienced person but not impossible for you to do. You have to have an anti static wrist band and the right tools and arrange all the components systematically and neatly, also and what I would suggest, is that you clean all components with a soft bristled brush and this is especially the fans and repaste the cpu/gpu with a high quality paste. Also take photos of all the different stages of disassembly and reassemble in reverse, simple. 
  • TF21045
    TF21045 Member Posts: 138 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    After approximately 4 years of use, and handling the computer with great care, last night the right hinge popped as I was closing the computer. 
    wheezie said:
    After taking the laptop apart the only way to fix the issue isn't just the broken hinge but the tiny brass screw holders barely fastened in the cover tore out with about 1/16th inch plastic around all three.

We're the same!

4 years later, from August 30, 2018, to May 29, 2022, my hinge decided to break off too from opening my laptop!

So I had to remove the broken hinge by first taking out the screen bezel, then the bottom cover, and unscrewing the part when it holds the hinged compartment, which the screw was stripped...

Don't worry, I used a headphone jack to stop the screw from drifting the thing.

It came out successfully so I don't need to hold the right side when opening or closing with a few problems with the display itself lmao (a bit of the bottom right broke because of the pressure, but it didn't break further, so phew.)