Will i be able to upgrade?

Benny_DK
Benny_DK Member Posts: 24 Networker
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
Hello, so i have an acer predator g3-710 with a gtx 970, 8gb ddr4 ram and an i5 6400 processor an i was thinking about upgrading to 16gb ddr4 ram and a gtx 1660 ti but my only problem is that i dont know if the gtx 1660 ti is compatible. Please help! 

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It should work just fine if the GTX 1660 ti is the right size. Open the case first and measure just to be sure. Your machine *might* have too small of a PSU, you're going to want no less than 500W for the bigger GPU card. Another upgrade you might want to look at is to swap your 6th gen i5 for a 6th gen i7. The i7 should give you more threads. The i5-660 had four cores that can run four threads, the i7-6700 has four cores also, but can do eight threads.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    It should work just fine if the GTX 1660 ti is the right size. Open the case first and measure just to be sure. Your machine *might* have too small of a PSU, you're going to want no less than 500W for the bigger GPU card. Another upgrade you might want to look at is to swap your 6th gen i5 for a 6th gen i7. The i7 should give you more threads. The i5-660 had four cores that can run four threads, the i7-6700 has four cores also, but can do eight threads.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Benny_DK
    Benny_DK Member Posts: 24 Networker
    edited September 2019
    Ok! Will do thanks and about the cpu i will look into it but i guess my i5 6400 is ok for now if i just overclock it for more ghz until i have enough money for a new cpu.

• billsey
    Let us know how you come out.