Predator PH315-52 bug: does not power off if Fast Startup is off in Windows

FlorinAndrei
FlorinAndrei Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Predator PH315-52 running Windows 10 with all updates. New laptop. Pretty sure I've found a BIOS bug with this system.

Start Menu / Settings / System / Power & Sleep / Additional Power Settings / Choose What The Power Buttons Do / Turn On Fast Startup

Normally, Fast Startup is turned on in Win 10. What it does is - it doesn't actually do a shutdown. Instead, the computer goes to sleep when you click Shutdown. As long as this is enabled, my laptop "shuts down" (really, goes to sleep) just fine.

I need to disable this setting. For my development environment I need a clean start up every time; I need to do a true shut down at the end of the day, and then boot up from full shut down the next day. But if I disable Fast Startup, the laptop never shuts down. It seems to shut down, but instead it reboots.

With Fast Startup disabled, the laptop does a restart instead of shut down.

This is quite likely a BIOS issue. It's not an OS issue. I've disabled Fast Startup on all my other systems and it always works fine - the systems perform a true shutdown.

Doing a restart after power up would also solve my problem, but it's a waste of time. Additionally, "fast startup" is not really faster, it's about the same as startup from full shutdown, so I don't need it.

Where can I report this issue so it gets the proper attention so it will get fixed in a future BIOS update? Thanks!

Best Answer

• FlorinAndrei
    Answer ✓
    I've updated the BIOS to v 1.06 and now shutdown works correctly. If I disable Turn On Fast Startup and I select Start Menu / Shutdown, the system performs a full shutdown and stays off. It does not boot up on its own anymore. This is great!

The original BIOS version was 1.02 so I guess that's where the bug was.

All is good now, thank you.

Answers

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Can you try out the workarounds here?
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • FlorinAndrei
    Answer ✓
    I've updated the BIOS to v 1.06 and now shutdown works correctly. If I disable Turn On Fast Startup and I select Start Menu / Shutdown, the system performs a full shutdown and stays off. It does not boot up on its own anymore. This is great!

The original BIOS version was 1.02 so I guess that's where the bug was.

All is good now, thank you.
  • FlorinAndrei
    Just to make sure search engines find this discussion, the laptop is the Predator Helios 300.
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Great that you got it solved by yourself.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!