New Intel ssd6 - acer g3-710

Exo12
Exo12 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
I purchased a new intel ssd 6*( 1tb m.2 for my acer g3-710.  I installed the ssd in the m.2 port under the graphics card, cloned my existing hdd to it.  The cloned ssd shows up as acer (E) on my computer and looks like it has all the appropriate files (takes up same size as hdd files) but it doesn't show up on my bios as a boot option.  The 2 options that show up are both called windows boot manager.  If I pick one it boots from hdd fine, if I pick the other if goes to a "choose your option" screen with the option to "continue-exit and continue to windows 10" but if I click on that it just cycles back to the same screen. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    When you cloned the drive you cloned the boot info, so it's on both drives now. Disconnect the original HDD and verify you can boot from just the SSD. If you can't then there was likely a problem with the cloning. Did the cloning software attempt to resize the partitions for you? That's often where they fail...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Exo12
    I don't think the software tried to resize the partition. I used the Intel data migration software.  I'll unhook the old drive and see if it boots up. 
  • Exo12
    So I disconnected the HDD and tried to boot up. I got error 0xc0000225 
  • Exo12
    There was only one windows boot manager when I had the HDD disconnected.  But I couldn't get passed the error. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    That leads me to believe the cloning is the problem. If done correctly the cloning process will give you a bootable drive, and yours isn't working for that. Boot from the HDD and use Disk Management to verify all partitions on the SSD match the same partitions on the HDD. Is the HDD the same size as the SSD?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.