Why is my Nitro 5 getting crazy fluctuations in cpu temp?

Ninjakitty844
Ninjakitty844 Member Posts: 38 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
It used to idle at about 40, it still does occasionally. But now, for seemingly no reason, the temperatures fluctuate like crazy even when idle. From reading to reading it'll go 38, 99, 65, 45. It somewhat levels out after a long long time of idling, at which point it'll mostly be fine. I've also noticed that just in general all the games and programs I used to run at around 70 bring me up to 85 or 93 now. It hasn't been very long since I purchased this laptop, so I'm a little worried if something's already going bad.

Does anyone know why my laptop might be doing this?

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    It used to idle at about 40, it still does occasionally. But now, for seemingly no reason, the temperatures fluctuate like crazy even when idle. From reading to reading it'll go 38, 99, 65, 45. It somewhat levels out after a long long time of idling, at which point it'll mostly be fine. I've also noticed that just in general all the games and programs I used to run at around 70 bring me up to 85 or 93 now. It hasn't been very long since I purchased this laptop, so I'm a little worried if something's already going bad.

Go here and download tand install he latest Nvidia Graphics drivers
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• Ninjakitty844
    I've also noticed the fans ramp up and down like crazy
  • andylb

Please give your exact model number AN515-**

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Ninjakitty844
    Ah, my bad. The model is AN515-54-51M5
  • andylb
    Answer ✓

Go here and download tand install he latest Nvidia Graphics drivers
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Ninjakitty844
    I've installed the latest graphics driver, games run a bit more smoothly now. I don't know how, but the cpu temp seems a bit more stable now too. There are a few weird spikes in cpu temp still, but they're nowhere near as often and usually seem to just come from switching windows. If I don't notice any big problems after this, I think it's fixed
  • Ninjakitty844
    I'm still noticing the laptop won't quite make it back down to it's regular idling temp after doing anything that requires a significant amount of processing power, but I think this has helped somewhat. There's probably another problem which might be a bad job of applying thermal paste from the factory, so I'll check that later.

• andylb
    I'm still noticing the laptop won't quite make it back down to it's regular idling temp after doing anything that requires a significant amount of processing power, but I think this has helped somewhat. There's probably another problem which might be a bad job of applying thermal paste from the factory, so I'll check that later.

Glad i could be of help. the Nitros are notorious for bad pasting, repaste with Grizzly Kryonaut

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★