How long for system recovery? AN515-53-52FA

Options
altidude3
altidude3 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
We had to purchase the USB system recovery drive from Acer. My son's AN515-53-52FA was giving a lot of problems.

The first part of the recovery went pretty quickly. We are currently about 1 hour 15 minutes into the 2nd part and it's still at 0%. If I listen very closely I can hear the HDD at times (an HDD activity light would have been nice, Acer). My question is how long does it take to complete a system restore using the Acer recovery drive?

TIA

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Sobre su pregunta, le sugiero que espere un poco. Ahora, ¿por qué compraste erecovery de Acer? ¿Formateaste el hd? Ha intentado presionar alt + f10 antes del logotipo de Acer.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • altidude3
    Options
    Yeah, we tried ALT-F10 and it didn't work. We don't have a recovery media (lost in our move or never had it, I don't know which). We purchased the media from Acer as a last option. We are trying to get the system back to as-new status then my son will be a little more careful about the games and apps he's installing. I'll give it more time.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    During installation, were you asked to connect a second disk or something?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • altidude3
    Options
    No, the app didn't ask to connect a 2nd disk. The app just asked me to press on the continue or ok button, whichever it was then started the next step. I'm at 3+ hours now and still at 0%
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I believe there is something wrong. Can you upload a screenshot?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• altidude3
    Options
    It finally seems to be moving along. It's at 60% at just over 5 hours into the process. It made a big jump while I was away doing something else. If it stalls out I'll get a screenshot and post but I'm going to just let it run.

Thanks for your help, egydiocoelho!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    altidude3 said:
    It finally seems to be moving along. It's at 60% at just over 5 hours into the process. It made a big jump while I was away doing something else. If it stalls out I'll get a screenshot and post but I'm going to just let it run.

Thanks for your help, egydiocoelho!
    I think the hard drive or ssd should be checked for errors or something. Let the process be completed.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• altidude3
    Options
    The system is finally reinstalled but there is a problem with the HDD per SMART. The laptop is just running terribly slow overall. I guess I'll be looking to replace the spinner with an SSD. Wish me luck.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Is the disk 100% in the task manager?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• altidude3
    Options
    Yes, disk is 100% all the time. It took about 20 hours for the system to reinstall. Boot up still takes about 10 minutes with black screens in between. Every click takes forever to do anything once it finally does boot up. I've verified SMART status as a predicted failure three different ways so I'm pretty sure the drive is the problem here (bad sectors pending reallocation). I've seen drives fail in the past with the same SMART reported error so the SSD is worth a shot. My son has been asking for one anyway.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Check the health of hdd with crystaldiskinfo.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• altidude3
    Options
    Yeah, crystaldiskinfo was the one that actually told me the error. Intel and the system command line just told me the drive was going to fail. crystaldiskinfo says "BAD".
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried disconnecting or reconnecting the hdd? It may just be a bad connection to the motherboard.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• altidude3
    Options
    I didn't try disconnecting and reconnecting the connector on the failing drive. That's a good thought, though!

The SSD installation is completed. Total time was just about 2 hours to final Windows setup. My son is already using it and he's pretty happy with the performance with the SSD installed.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Yes, ssd has a much higher read and write rate than ssd.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer