Running linux on a515-43-r19l

Options
AF794
AF794 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I’ll be receiving an a515-43-r19l for a gift in a few days. I’ve come across a few posts on other forums where other people have had problems installing a linux distribution due to the BIOS. Can anyone here confirm BIOS problems with installing and running linux? Are there any other potential problems I might run into installing and running say, Debian or some derivative?

Thank you!

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good afternoon AF794 !

There are really no "bios issues" or installing a Linux distribution on any device.

Yes there is in most cases lack of knowledge.
    If you are familiar with Linux you will have no problem installing or even resolving any issues during the installation.

I state that a suitable Linux distribution can be installed and any supported equipment.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    a couple of pointers:  F12 will need to be enabled in the bios to allow for booting from a usb stick.  F2 gets you in the bios, F12 enable is under "main", if it is greyed out, you'll need to set a supervisor password for the bios under "security" then that'll allow you to change the F12 option.   If you are running manajro or arch, then disable secure boot (most linux distro's will install with secure boot enabled these days, but you might have to disable it anyway).  Then its a case of putting in your linux usb stick you've already made, tap away on f12 as soon as you press the power button from cold and select the usb boot device from the list.   Always worth checking it all works (pad/volume/bluetooth/wireless etc) from a live boot before committing to a full installation.  Enjoy.
  • prodeq12
    prodeq12 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    I am successfully running Linux Mint right now on my A515-43-r19l. I have also ran Pop Os, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and Ubuntu Budgie. I had no problems with drivers on any of them except for Linux Mint where I had to upgrade the Linux Kernel to 5.0. The only downside of this laptop is battery life. I suggest installing TLP battery power management on any distro you choose and pick a lighter desktop environment like XFCE, Mate or Cinnamon. I recommend Ubuntu Mate, Linux Mint, Manjaro w/Xfce or MX linux.
  • Atemahawk
    Atemahawk Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    I'm currently running Ubuntu 20.04, It runs well