Acer Swift 5 SF515-51T - Wont go to sleep when closing the lid

Mindgame19
Mindgame19 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi 

I have got a Swift 5 sf515-51t less than a week old. 

From the start it would not go to sleep upon closing the lid.

I have searched and searched and cannot find a solution, all the settings in windows 10 power control are set correctly, running troubleshoot finds no errors. 

Power button will send it to sleep as it should but just not closing the screen.

As its a brand new laptop and I have seen other laptops report this issue I feel its something to do with Windows 10 rather than a hardware issue (e.g Hall sensor) 

Has anyone got a workable solution?

Many Thanks 

Comments

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Open ControlPanel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in the left pane. Change ALL settings on battery and plugged in to sleep. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mindgame19
    Mindgame19 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi Thanks for the suggestion but as stated above I have already tried changing the settings to no avail.

It has a sleep button so I guess its just a case of pressing this before closing the lid.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Sorry. This likely means the magnetic hall sensor board that detects the hood position has either failed or its connector cable has loosened from the mainboard. The bottom case and battery must be removed to access the  cable. Located adjacent to BIOS CMOS coin cell connector. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Wolfyboy
    Wolfyboy Member Posts: 1 New User
    My problem with my Acer Swift 5, was that the magnet(red) couldn't trigger the hall sensor(blue). 

You can test your hall sensor by putting a refrigerator magnet on your laptop.

My suggestion is to send it in to rep, or buy a thin magnet you can glue on your screen x)