SlowBro
SlowBro Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2020 in Aspire Laptops

Hello All,

Recently got a new Acer Aspire 5 ~ A515-52-548C laptop for $599 CAD

Intel core I5-8265U

256 GB SSD

8GB Memory

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-aspire-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-8265u-256gb-ssd-8gb-ram-windows-10/13642535

Didn't realize there were so many types of Acer Aspires models and I opted out on the dedicated graphics card since it was $200 more and will use it mainly for browsing/netflix/light video editing

Tried looking for this specific A515-52-548C model for upgrade tips but I could only find it on the other models

Wanting to add a 1TB HDD and 8GB memory

Could someone recommend budget options on amazon.com that's compatible with this model?

Thank you in advance! :)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Go to this link for specs on compatible options. You can install up to two x 16GB=32GB DDR4 modules https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-5-a515-52
    You can add an 8GB module if a slot is free. For example, if you have one 8GB module already installed, you'll wind up with 16GB. If you have two 4GB modules installed, you'll have to remove one to add an 8GB and wind up with a total of 12GB.

Crucial  (Micron) is competitive with just about all other mfrs and is an Amazon seller. If you want to go with a 1TB HDD instead of an SSD, I recommend https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RG4GFVN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SlowBro
    JackE said:
    Go to this link for specs on compatible options. You can install up to two x 16GB=32GB DDR4 modules https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-5-a515-52
    You can add an 8GB module if a slot is free. For example, if you have one 8GB module already installed, you'll wind up with 16GB. If you have two 4GB modules installed, you'll have to remove one to add an 8GB and wind up with a total of 12GB.

Crucial  (Micron) is competitive with just about all other mfrs and is an Amazon seller. If you want to go with a 1TB HDD instead of an SSD, I recommend https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RG4GFVN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jack E/NJ

Hey Jack!

Thanks for the suggestions,

A few questions:
    Is it possible to have the current SSD and add an HDD for extra storage space?
    I have yet to open up the laptop but is there a slot to add an HDD?
    If not could I replace the optical drive with an HDD on this laptop?

Cheers!
  • JackE
    Yes you can add a 2.5" HDD or SSD if it already has the m.2 SSD. All you need as an ordinary 2.5" internal HDD cable that fits inside the case. ACER Part no is 50.H14N2.003. Since you're in Canada, you can probably get it free with the HDD mounting kit at this link https://csapps.acer.com/kit-request/#submit   I don't use HDD mounting bracket as it's crowded enough inside these laptops. I just use antistat foam to immobilize and protect the HDD. You really should pop the back cover off to take a look to see what you're up against before you order this stuff . Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SlowBro
    JackE said:
    Yes you can add a 2.5" HDD or SSD if it already has the m.2 SSD. All you need as an ordinary 2.5" internal HDD cable that fits inside the case. ACER Part no is 50.H14N2.003. Since you're in Canada, you can probably get it free with the HDD mounting kit at this link https://csapps.acer.com/kit-request/#submit   I don't use HDD mounting bracket as it's crowded enough inside these laptops. I just use antistat foam to immobilize and protect the HDD. You really should pop the back cover off to take a look to see what you're up against before you order this stuff . Jack E/NJ

Jack...Has anyone told you how amazing you are? hahah

Thanks for your help! I'll pop it open to see what I'm dealing with and check back here if I have more questions

Cheers!
  • JackE
    Good luck with it.    :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• diazregil
    diazregil Member Posts: 8 New User
    Hi, I have the same model as the first guy who asked. I want to know if the Aspire 5 A515-52-548c has a additional ssd slot? planning to upgrade mine as well. 

Thank you in advance! :) 

• JackE
    It has one 2.5" HDD/SSD socket and one m.2 SSD card socket. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• diazregil
    JackE said:
    It has one 2.5" HDD/SSD socket and one m.2 SSD card socket. Jack E/NJ

Is the "one 2.5" HDD/SSD socket" this one??
  • JackE
    See image below. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• diazregil
    JackE said:
    See image below. Jack E/NJ

my slot says it's a JHDD1 can it support 2.5" SSD?
  • JackE
    Yes. It should support either a 2.5" SSD or a 2.5" HDD or a 2.5" hybrid HDD up to about 2TB with no issues. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• diazregil
    And one more thing my laptop doesn't have the connector for the JHDD1 and the metal frame to support the new storage system should it have been inside my laptop or do I need to buy one? Not sure if both are in the box, If it is, probably will need to buy a new one.
  • JackE
    You only need the SATA3 HDD ribbon cable. Google the  part no. 50.H14N2.003 for vendors/sellers. The 2.5" drive can be adequately protected and immobilized inside the case with anti-static foam so a metal bracket is not needed nor recommended. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• diazregil
    JackE said:
    You only need the SATA3 HDD ribbon cable. Google the  part no. 50.H14N2.003 for vendors/sellers. The 2.5" drive can be adequately protected and immobilized inside the case with anti-static foam so a metal bracket is not needed nor recommended. Jack E/NJ

Thank you very much!! 
  • diazregil
    JackE said:

One last thing, can I use the sata3 HDD ribbon cable on a SATA SSD? or do I need a SATA3 SSD ribbon cable? if so what part no. should look for, for the SATA3 SSD ribbon cable?
  • JackE
    All 2.5" SATA SSDs sold nowadays are SATA3 SSDs.  So if the 2.5" SATA or SATA3 cable's mainboard connector is the same as the part no. 50.H14N2.003, it should work just fine. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• diazregil
    JackE said:
    All 2.5" SATA SSDs sold nowadays are SATA3 SSDs.  So if the 2.5" SATA or SATA3 cable's mainboard connector is the same as the part no. 50.H14N2.003, it should work just fine. Jack E/NJ
    Alright! Thanks again!
  • JackE
    Good luck. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ