Suspend not working in Windows 10 on PH517-61

whitebunnyflock
whitebunnyflock Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
AMD video driver version currently running: 7/11/2019 26.20.13001.16003
Windows 10 version: 7/22/2019 18362.295
BIOS version: version 1.08.

When I close the lid to get the machine to suspend it successfully suspends. However when i lift the lid on it again I get a bunch of random pixelated dots. These are grey and colored dots that flicker all over the screen. Interestingly I have the same issue in Linux. Suspend used to work and all I have changed since then is that I have updated to this version of windows 10 and my graphics driver.  Any help is much appreciated.

Best Answer

• fleaplus
    fleaplus Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    The most recent graphics driver is causing the suspend issue. Use 19.5.2 instead. If you want to be able to use Freesync on the built in LCD be sure to do a upgrade install of the driver on top of the original Acer drivers instead of a clean install. 1903 vs 1809 doesn't make a difference. I have submitted a bug report for the 19.8.2 drivers but it could take some time before a fix is available in a newer release. I can also confirm that the same issue occurs under Linux using the 19.30 amdgpu drivers.

Answers

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited September 2019
    whitebunnyflock dont use sleep mode never worked properly (since i can remember) and never will since win xp/7 you could use hibernate instead windows updates probably messed up your display drivers somehow one of the reasons why i wont allow nothing to ever update on mine :p if i ever needed it i will do it manually myself

But if it was working fine before was there any reason you updated to 1903 (im guessing you were on 1809 before) or if you were already on 1903 uninstall the latest update https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4512508/windows-10-update-kb4512508
    If rolling back the update wont fix it im afraid probably only a factory stock reset (if you still have the recovery partition intact) clean install would probably fix it but because you have dual boot (according to what you had stated) would probably format the drive completely and you would have to start everything from scratch again im just guessing as i dunno how you have it setup

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• whitebunnyflock
    xapim I have switched all of the previous sleep methods over to hibernate now.  Seems to work very well on the machine.  I have setup this machine to not use Windows updated drivers in order to use a more recent AMD video driver and I kind of think that might be the sleep issue. Do you think it would be the Windows update to 1903 that would cause a strange issue like this as opposed to a cutting edge driver?

The reason I updated to 1903 was to be able to use the new Xbox live software (microsoft made it a requirement to run this beta software).

I think I will stick with it the way it is so i can communicate with my Xbox friends and I didn't know hibernate was even an option anymore (thought that no one used it anymore).  I do prefer Sleep but not over the software I have running now.

You don't think this is a hardware issue then?

If I did do a factory reset it would potentially not touch my linux install as I have it installed on a second drive.
  • fleaplus
    fleaplus Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    The most recent graphics driver is causing the suspend issue. Use 19.5.2 instead. If you want to be able to use Freesync on the built in LCD be sure to do a upgrade install of the driver on top of the original Acer drivers instead of a clean install. 1903 vs 1809 doesn't make a difference. I have submitted a bug report for the 19.8.2 drivers but it could take some time before a fix is available in a newer release. I can also confirm that the same issue occurs under Linux using the 19.30 amdgpu drivers.
  • whitebunnyflock
    leaplus said:
    that was the ticket.  I uninstalled everything i previously had, reverted to the windows driver from last year and did an install on 19.5.2. I also tried 19.9.1 and it still has the issue.  I hope when they fix the windows driver that they fix linux as well.  Obviously some type of regression caused this.  Is there a way I can help with the bug report?
  • Bullfrog78
    Bullfrog78 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2019
    I haven't had the chance to dissect, but as stated the 19.5.2 does work, but i did have a 19.7.??? that i haven't had the time to dig up yet.