Acer Nitro 5 515-53 : No longer recognizing the NVIDIA GPU?

Options
lucipurr13
lucipurr13 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have had my laptop for a year now, and it's been wonderful. 

Unfortunately, there was an accident involving an impatient cat, a bottle of water, and my hard drive. My cat jumped into my arms while I was taking a drink, knocking the bottle out of my mouth and onto my desk in such a way that water pooled underneath my computer. I hurried to unplug it, switch it off, and try to save it but nothing doing. I had to replace it.

I did so, and upon installing Windows 10 onto my pretty new hard drive I set to making sure to get my drivers squared away. Everything seemed fine up until I tried to install the drivers for the Nvidia GPU. I was not able to do so at all.

I figured, okay, maybe it's a little confused. And I went about installing my typical stuff. WoW, Borderlands, etc. Played BL1 for a little while, but it was sluggish. After that the NVidia gpu showed up in the device manager so I tried to install the driver and it seemed fine at the time. Later I tried to play WoW and the best way to describe what happened is that the display started melting. I've seen this before when a driver wasn't quite right so I went to try and reinstall the driver and the Nvidia GPU was no longer showing in device manager.

I have not been able to locate it since.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,749 Pathfinder
    Options
    @lucipurr13
    After there was a liquid spill anything would have happen to your unit.
    So its better to take the unit to a local tech to check on it. Acer will not take the unit for repair if there is any liquid spill

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    Did you download the driver directly from Nvidia? If not do so here
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• lucipurr13
    lucipurr13 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I did do that, yes. Unfortunately the card no longer shows up in Device Manager so it wouldn't actually allow me to complete the installation.
  • ZynFaith
    ZynFaith Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    Try to delete graphics driver (Nvidia) with Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode with reboot. After this download latest stable version for your graphics card, install it and then reboot your laptop one more time. It should solve your problem
    If it's doesn't help you should delete intel and nvidia graphics with DDU. After install at first latest Intel graphics driver and then nvidia graphics.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★