Not booting from Samsung 970 Evo plus nvme drive on my NP515-51-5001 i5-8250U

ChrisTom
ChrisTom Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
What I have done: 
bought fitted the Samsung 970 Evo plus nvme drive on the m.2 slot
Cloned using the Samsung migration tool of the C: (with one single partition) drive to the nvme samsung drive
Re-started laptop pressed F2 and went to BIOS to change the boot sequence/priority but it does not boot to windows and I see a blue screen. I went back to the BIOS and changed to boot from the HDD and works OK
Current BIOS version: InsydeH20 Version V1.07
BIOS mode: EUFI
C: Partion style is GUID PArtition Table (GPT)

Can someone please help me. I want my Windows to boot from the Nvme Samsung drive. I have also created a media creation tool to a USB using the Microsoft media tool.(not sure if i need it tho)

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good afternoon ChrisTom !

What EXACT model of your laptop?
    In cloning, did you also clone the hidden and reserved partitions of the system?
    Did you align the partition?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• ChrisTom

Tinkerer

edited August 2019
    EXACT model is NP515-51-5001  i5-8250U @ 1.60 Ghz 8 GB Ram 64Bit I cloned using the Samsung migration tool which was very easy to use. Not sure if it also cloned the hidden and reserved partitions of the system. (sorry im a Novice)
  • MaClane
    I did not find the model informed.
    However, this series supports SSD with M.2 2280 Sata 3 or PCIe NVMe Gen3x4 slot
    If you have not cloned all partitions and aligned the partition, a boot error will occur.
    I suggest that you redo the procedure using other software such as Minitool Partition, Macrium Reflect or EaseUS

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• ChrisTom

Tinkerer

Sure let me try using the Macrium Reflect tool and let you know how it goes....Btw do I need to format the nvme drive or will the Macrium tool do it for me? Thanks for your help MaClane
  • MaClane
    Depending on the version Macrium does have disk formatting option.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• ChrisTom

Tinkerer

Yes MAcrium has got the option to delete the existing date or partitioning on the destination drive (which is my case was the clone copy using the samsung migration tool)
    NOw im stuck and adjusting the space available on my nvme drive since it is a 250 GB and my primary HDD is 1TB but 150 GB used. 
    I dont know if I might get the extra space availabe later on ithe nvme drive.....😖🤯🤯🤯😵🥴
  • MaClane
    In this case you should first remove everything from the unused HDD drive, defragment the disk and shrink the Windows partition to the nearest SSD size.

Read here also about alignment:

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/how-to-align-ssd-partition.html

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• ChrisTom

Tinkerer

I checked this link and after checking msinfo32 the "Partition Starting Offset" matches both the primary HDD and SSD , so does that mean they are aligned?? 🤯 (its actually matching the no of bytes  as shown on the picture as 1,048,576 bytes also ) the partition wizard looks very confusing btw 🥴
  • ChrisTom

Tinkerer

After alot of research and youtube vidoes, I can now say that I have successfully booted from the new ssd using the Macrium tool. 
    @MaClane thank you for your time and trying to solved this for me. Cheers 👍
  • MaClane
    Great!
    If my answers helped you, check accept to close the topic and help others in the forum!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™