Swollen Battery (CB3-431)

hbunselmeyer
hbunselmeyer Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a CB3-431.  I use it both to keep my family organized (all the calendars and school emails!) and in my position as a Substitute teacher.  It sits either on my desk at home, or on a teacher's desk during the day.  I keep it plugged in on my desk all the time, or it holds a charge with no problem if I'm at work.  It's never been exposed to extreme temperatures, or big changes in temperature.

I noticed in class last week that my lid wasn't closing quite all the way, and that my trackpad seemed rounded.  I thought that was odd, the machine has never been dropped or anything.  I suspected a battery.  My daughter has a (now non-working) CB3-431.  Since hers no longer functions, I took the back off hers to see where the battery is located.  Sure enough...right under the trackpad.  I opened up the back of mine (it's out of warranty) and once I got the last screw loosened, the back sort of popped off.  The battery is dangerously bloated.  To the point where it feels "squishy."  I swapped my battery for my daughter's, and the problem is now fixed.  

I'm really confused about how this could have happened.  Mine has been kept very carefully.  Hers is older than mine by several months, and has been hauled back and forth from high school, run completely out of battery multiple times, had books stacked on it, even been dropped off her bunk bed.  The case is a dented wreck...yet her battery is fine and mine that has been treated with kid gloves was definitely not.

My questions are these:
1.  Given that this seems like a safety issue, do I have any recourse in getting the battery replaced?
2.  I searched to see if this was a known issue and didn't find anything for this particular model of Chromebook, but do see it on some others.  Could this be a recall issue?

I appreciate any information.  I tried to call Acer to ask about these, but it seems a bit of a mess.  When I entered my SNID, they said there's no record of it being registered, yet I've sent it in for repairs and know I registered it at that point.  I was sent to paid help, who sent me to the repair center, who was not open.

Answers

• Blues
    Blues Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    @hbunselmeyer

I would recommend to report this situation at acer. you can visit www.acer.com and select the region and then click on contact support and contact the support via chat or phone service or you can also send PM to @Acer-Manny
    If my comment gives you a solution then please hit on "Yes"
    If you like or agree to my comment then please hit "Like"
  • hbunselmeyer
    edited August 2019
    Thank you @Blues for the thoughts.  I cannot reach them via chat, because my device is out of warranty.  I tried calling, they shuttled me to paid support.  I explained the situation and they sent me to Capital Data who apparently is the repair center.  I explained to the main who answered and he was pretty condescending and interrupted me several times, telling me it's my fault for leaving my laptop plugged in, that it only happens sometimes but it does happen, and telling me to just put my daughter's battery in my laptop and leave it there.  I had told him I did that...apparently he didn't hear that when he interrupted me.  

I hate it when tech support treats people like they have no sense at all.  It's doubly bad because I'm a female.  Frustratingly, I do know what I'm doing.  I'm comfortable taking tech apart, etc.  I worked in tech support for a while.  My husband and I have built desktop computers together.  I'm not saying I'm an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm not a casual user, either.  Nor am I dumb.  But just switch batteries and leave it there.  Nice.

I'd really love it if someone from Acer could weigh in on this.  Leaving my laptop with the charger plugged in is a bad thing?  Also - your contracted tech support people were horribly rude.  

• Blues
    Blues Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited August 2019
    @hbunselmeyer

Its really sad to hear on what you experienced. Also, could you tell me the number you dialed and which region. i would really recommend you to send a PM to @Acer-Manny

If this helped you please click on "Like"
    If this resolved the issue please click on "Accept"

If my comment gives you a solution then please hit on "Yes"
    If you like or agree to my comment then please hit "Like"
  • hbunselmeyer
    @Blues

I'll PM him.  I called Acer, USA at 866-695-2237.  They sent me to Capital Data, Inc at 800-999-4409.  I never spoke to a human being at Acer.  Just that their records show I'm out of warranty, but their records also show that I've not registered.  Doesn't make sense.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru

Hello hbunselmeyer,

I'm sorry that you're having issues with your Acer Chromebook.  Can you please send me a private message with the S/N of your unit so I can look into this for you?

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• hbunselmeyer
    @Acer-Manny Any updates yet?  Thanks!