Changed the battery in my M5-481T-6642 and now battery indicator grayed out.

greywing
greywing Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Changed the battery in my M5-481T-6642 and now the battery icon (bottom right) is grayed out and does not provide state of charge information.  Win 10 System Battery Settings page also shows battery information unknown.  I'm not clear on who's in charge here - Windows or ACER but before the battery change the battery icon was functional even though the battery was shot.  Anyone have any ideas?

Best Answer

• greywing

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Update:  In other threads it is frequently mentioned that after a battery change, battery should be reset by inserting a pin through a hole in the bottom of the laptop when the unit is turned off and holding the pin for 20 sec.  I had removed the back multiple times and was absolutely certain I had no such hole on the back of my laptop but in desperation did a careful examination and behold there was such a hole adjacent to a tiny battery symbol.  I did the pin thing and the battery monitor sprung into life as promised.  My bad, but a good lesson for all.

Problem solved.

Answers

• Ishy
    Ishy Member Posts: 143 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hi, @greywing this battery might not be compatible for the device.

You can try to do battery reset. Follow the steps below:
    1) Unplug power cable from device.
    2) Close the lid if open then flip it upside down. 
    3) Find small symbol for battery and next to it there should be slot you can pull the battery out.
    4) Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds without battery. Then plug the battery back in.
    5) Then turn on the device and test the battery.
    6) If the the previous steps doesn't help then reinstall the driver for battery. 

If you are satisfied with my reply please accept my resolution. Thanks. 
  • greywing

Tinkerer

My unit doesn't have a slot for battery removal.  The top including keyboard must be removed just to gain access to the battery which is mounted to the bottom along with everything but the keyboard and keypad.  This is a non-trivial job involving cable removal to separate top from bottom so I'd prefer not doing it very often.  The battery was a direct replacement (same PN) as the original and actually works well. The only problem is the battery monitor in the right end of the Task Bar has grayed out and displays "Unknown Remaining" when cursor is over it.  I have been going through the initial battery conditioning sequence (charge/deplete) and it is performing as I would expect.  Following the last deplete cycle, I pressed and held the power button for 30 sec before I started the recharge. Battery monitor still not responding.   Driver has been reinstalled in Device Manager with no joy.

This laptop was delivered with Win 7 64 and has been upgraded to Win 10 64 when that became available.  Battery monitor seemed to work fine after that changeover but failed following the battery change.  There is a BIOS available on the support page newer than mine but it is listed for Win 7 (as is mine) so I am unsure about installing it.
  • greywing

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Update:  In other threads it is frequently mentioned that after a battery change, battery should be reset by inserting a pin through a hole in the bottom of the laptop when the unit is turned off and holding the pin for 20 sec.  I had removed the back multiple times and was absolutely certain I had no such hole on the back of my laptop but in desperation did a careful examination and behold there was such a hole adjacent to a tiny battery symbol.  I did the pin thing and the battery monitor sprung into life as promised.  My bad, but a good lesson for all.

Problem solved.