Aspire XC-603 HDD use 100%.... windows reinstall fails, black screen - solved before posted

davidef
davidef Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Old faithful (untouched from new, except for installing Win 10 from 8) started with 100% disc use for no apparent reason... After mucking around with various things, I decided that a fresh installation of windows might be the go. Made a USB stick and left it to it.

I went and got on with other things, and returned to find a black screen. Left it overnight - still the same black screen. Disconnected it from power, no change. Disconnected HDD, no change. Fan runs, m/b beeps when switched on, but otherwise dead. Removed RAM and got a constant beep. Reset CMOS with the jumper. No change. 

This is all with the screen hooked up via HDMI. I thought I might scare up a VGA cable and try again - hurrah, a lit screen, and presently proceeding with install. The screen I have doesn't have the right aspect with VGA, so its always been used with HDMI. Just thought I might post this, since the black screen of death seems a common topic in a google search