Aspire E 14 all of a sudden not detecting any WiFi networks

NYR
NYR Member Posts: 4 New User
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives

I know this has been posted before, but none of the solutions others have found are working for me.

As background, i have had the Aspire E 14 laptop for 6 years and never had an issue with WiFi. Yesterday i simply moved from room to room in the house. In room 1, i was connected to my home WiFi. In room 2 the laptop put itself to sleep, so i hit the power on button. The computer did a reboot (rather than just coming back from sleep) and when it was done, there was the lower-tray network icon with a red "X" on it. (Dozens of networks were available to my iPhone at the time, incl my home WiFi.)

I have done the following:
- Rebooted the laptop several times - no change

- Went to Network & Internet center (from Settings):

“Show available networks” shows only Ethernet and Bluetooth – nothing else

“Change adapter options” shows only Ethernet and Bluetooth – nothing else

The only result that Network Troubleshooter yields is to tell me to connect using Ethernet cable

So basically nothing worked here – no option to disable/enable any adapter

- Installed Ethernet directly to router and was able to connect to home WiFi, and internet

- Using this connection I updated the Realtek network adapter driver (to a July 2019 version) - even tho it was showing as "working properly" in Device Manager
- Checked all other adapters in Device Mgr and they all showed as “working properly”

- Checked services.mcs in Run command for WLan AutoConfig – “Running”

- For grins I rebooted the home router, even tho I know it is working via direct Ethernet

So, I haven’t seen any answers that went past the stage I am at now. Thanks in advance for any further suggestions.

(sorry for spacing bet. sentences)

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>Would there be anyway to test your theory short of taking apart the screen?>>>

The break would likely be in the bundle running through hinge area. It's possible opening the lid a few different part way positions might temporaril reconnect the aerial. But until we know the full model number, won't know for sure where it's located. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Yep, antenna is in the lid on the backside of the busted screen. Could be loose from the wifi card but unlikely since it's two ends are screwed into the card. Could also be it got severed when the screen cracked. Maybe the card itself simply needs to be reseated a half dozen times to clean its contacts with its mainboard slot. I still think the most likely suspect is a break in the hinge area. Google antenna part number 50.MLQN7.005 if you need a new one. About $25.  Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    What is your full E14 model number E5-4xx? Do you have a habit of opening and closing the lid a lot? Some models have the wifi antenna embedded in the screen lid with leads running from the wifi card through the congested hinge area. Wear and tear from opening/closing the lid too much sometimes causes breaks to the antenna among other issues. Jack E/N

Jack E/NJ

• NYR
    "Do you have a habit of opening and closing the lid a lot? Some models have the wifi antenna embedded in the screen lid..."

I open and close the lid maybe  a half-dozen times in a week. But you may be on to something with the embedded antenna thing. Recently my screen on the laptop cracked (I'm guessing when i put my bag to the ground a bit aggressively, forgetting the computer was laying flat at the bottom of the bag; even tho it was in a thick cloth case, might have been enough to do damage).

Would there be anyway to test your theory short of taking apart the screen?  (If i want to replace the screen myself, i know from online videos that there are wires taped to it - altho no one in the videos mentioned a WiFi antenna on the screen. Very concerned about putting the wire(s) back properly afterwords.)

Thanks very much for the input. I will get model # tonite at home and do some research based on that. Will come back on it ASAP.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>Would there be anyway to test your theory short of taking apart the screen?>>>

The break would likely be in the bundle running through hinge area. It's possible opening the lid a few different part way positions might temporaril reconnect the aerial. But until we know the full model number, won't know for sure where it's located. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NYR
    Jack:  model # is E5_471P_5456    Not sure if that confirms where the antenna is exactly. I tried moving the hinge and screen around last night "manually" seeing if it was just stuck and could be freed, but i'm probably just making a bad situation worse  lol. Next step i guess is to get an estimate on screen repair. Plus maybe antenna replacement? or do you think it could just be loose?

Or just junk it and get a new one, as the repair might be 50% of the cost of new.....

I'm going to list this as solved in the meantime. Thanks for your detective-like thinking !
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Yep, antenna is in the lid on the backside of the busted screen. Could be loose from the wifi card but unlikely since it's two ends are screwed into the card. Could also be it got severed when the screen cracked. Maybe the card itself simply needs to be reseated a half dozen times to clean its contacts with its mainboard slot. I still think the most likely suspect is a break in the hinge area. Google antenna part number 50.MLQN7.005 if you need a new one. About $25.  Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• NYR
    Wow - you weren't kidding. Right thru the hinge. But then how the hell would it get thru otherwise  ;-)
    Guess i will order that part and a screen and regret trying the repair myself about 20 minutes into it. hah
    Thanks again for all the guidance.