My TC-780-ACK13 just has Windows Boot Manager as an option in the (F12) boot menu.

Options
peakresults
peakresults Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Shouldn't the other devices showng in BIOS be listed in the boot menu?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    Not unless they are set for UEFI boot with a valid boot image.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • peakresults
    Options
    Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, I don't know how to verify if they are set for UEFI boot with a valid boot image.  Is there a simple way to check?  I've just installed a new hard drive and having issues with getting Windows running.  Thanks.
  • billsey
    Options
    It wouldn't surprise me if he new drive was configured for MBR instead of GPT if you are having troubles installing Windows 10. UEFI needs a GPT disk for booting. Windows will create (usually) four partitions, a 100MB for the UEFI boot image, a much larger one for your C: drive, a small (1GB or so) one for the recovery software and a final one for an actual recovery image. If you look at your drive with either Disk Manager or diskpart you should be able to see them and that will help determine what's going on.
    When you create a Windows install image flash drive it's created as a GPT disk with the Windows install software and a UEFI boot image in the same partition. That's because at base it's a DVD image, and DVDs only have one partition, not the three or four a regular disk has. If your Windows install flash disk is MBR or doesn't have the UEFI files it won't be seen as bootable by an UEFI computer.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • peakresults
    Options
    Thanks for the detailed response.  This is helpful and gets me on the right path to figuring things out.  Thanks again.
  • billsey
    Options
    Keep us informed as to your progress, and any more hurdles you might bump into. :)