Hinge problem with Acer Predator Helios 300

missundercover
missundercover Member Posts: 9 New User
Hi, does anyone else have or had problems with the hinges on their acer predator helios 300? First it started with the hinges making crackling sound when opening/ closing the lid. Then later the plastic cover popped off and the hinge broke

Answers

• Du_little
    Du_little Member Posts: 301 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi, does anyone else have or had problems with the hinges on their acer predator helios 300? First it started with the hinges making crackling sound when opening/ closing the lid. Then later the plastic cover popped off and the hinge broke

Since it is something to do with the hardware of the unit, contact acer support,and check whether it is issue with hinges, other component; use the below shared link.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    Hit Accept if its useful :) 

• missundercover
    I tried, but the model of my pc won't show up in the list.. 
  • Du_little
    I tried, but the model of my pc won't show up in the list.. 
    So i would suggested you to contact , any local store to get the hardware issue fixed.

• missundercover
    edited August 2019
    yhe i guess..
  • Du_little
    yhe i guess..
    You can try doing it as soon as possible before it affects your unit's screen  display

• missundercover
    I have contacted the shop i got it from, i sent them pictures from others with the same problem. So i hope they will fix it 
  • Du_little
    I have contacted the shop i got it from, i sent them pictures from others with the same problem. So i hope they will fix it 
    that sounds good :)

• missundercover
    For now im holding it together with a clip lol
  • paintsocial
    paintsocial Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the exact same problem but on the other side. I'm not impressed as this is the first laptop that this has ever happened. After calling Acer they told me that my warranty was expired and to check in with Best Buy or Staples. I'm not impressed. This doesn't look fixable & also feels like its an issue of Acers ability to design a proper hinge. :angry:
  • Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

Hi all,

I'm sorry to hear that you're running into hinge issues. I can certainly understand the frustration, however, I can assure you that a far larger portion of Acer laptops do not experience this. A lot of research and development go into the hinge design of our products to minimize any issues. Hinges have been failing on clam-shell notebooks for as long as they've been built, and that's not just related to Acer, a quick google search replacing Acer for another manufacture is sure to produce the same or similar results. Unfortunately, the hinge is the weak point in a folding process that also has to be a hollow enough to allow for wires to pass through and not wrinkle them. They take all the stress created when opening the device, but it also has to be capable of moving to allow anyone (think children) to open it.

With that said, we are sending you a private message so we can look further into your case and see how we can help get this fixed.

Regards,

Acer-Karp.

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • missundercover
    Have you sent the private message yet?
  • Alter_User
    Alter_User Member Posts: 0 Newbie
    I'd Just like to point out that this IS a problem of this model, I've got the same broken hinge problem and  have found several forums with people complaining about it. It has been mentioned here some time back (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/545469/acer-aspire-vx-15-hinge-broken). So to Mr. Acer-Karp said:

Hi all,

I'm sorry to hear that you're running into hinge issues. I can certainly understand the frustration, however, I can assure you that a far larger portion of Acer laptops do not experience this. A lot of research and development go into the hinge design of our products to minimize any issues. Hinges have been failing on clam-shell notebooks for as long as they've been built, and that's not just related to Acer, a quick google search replacing Acer for another manufacture is sure to produce the same or similar results. Unfortunately, the hinge is the weak point in a folding process that also has to be a hollow enough to allow for wires to pass through and not wrinkle them. They take all the stress created when opening the device, but it also has to be capable of moving to allow anyone (think children) to open it.

With that said, we are sending you a private message so we can look further into your case and see how we can help get this fixed.

Regards,

Acer-Karp.

This excuse about hinges failing, it's not valid. Sure there are other models from other brands that have failing hinges, but that doesn't makes it less a design problem (it's like a school children excuse). In my case even the steel frame of the screen broke and the screw thread got torn out.
    I just use the laptop at home, no rough usage, just open and close the lid, that's all. I've had laptops for almost 20 years and it's the first time this happens to me or to anyone I know.

So please, accept it's a crappy design, even if you are not gonna do anything else about it.
  • ganurse2009
    ganurse2009 Member Posts: 1 New User
    The hinge on my Predator Helios 300 is also broken. I just purchased another Predator Helios 300 but I kept the other one. I am hoping to figure out a way to repair it.
  • VENUGOPAL
    VENUGOPAL Member Posts: 11 New User
    edited April 2020

Bro, Did you got repaired your predator?? Even I had the same issue??
    If, Yes could you please tell me how and the cost of reparing
  • missundercover
    Yes i did, im from norway so i contacted the company called komplett where i bought it from about the problem, also slipped in some screenpics of others having the same issue, and that really helped me out. After that my charger broke tho lol
  • missundercover
    edited April 2020
    They didnt charge me for the fix, as it was not my fault the hinges broke. but acer’s poor lack of design when it comes to the hinges lol
  • FlameFist
    FlameFist Member Posts: 1 New User

So I can tell that I'm in the earlier stages of this problem. Hinge is making click sound whenever i open or close the lid. And my the plastic has slightly started to come apart. Can you please give me some advise on how to stop this problem from escalating further, if you have some.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited May 2020
    This looks to me like its not the hinge but the plastic top case mounting points that sometimes brake off (the top hinges mounting points very rarely break, its usually the bottom) and the hinges mounting screws come lose, this has happens on allot of older laptops (I know as I repair laptops and this is a common problem with older laptops) not only Acers, as the plastic material of the cases get brittle and the plastic deteriorates and breaks. This is unusual for a Predator Helios 300 as its only a new laptop, what I can see in this instance is what I've said above but and in this case you the surround bezel has to be replaced also, its not a big job but has to be done by an experienced service person and/or someone that has experience. 

The only solution for this is as follows:
    1. If its the top of the hinge that comes lose, change the top case cover
    2. If its the bottom of the hinge that comes lose, change the bottom case
    3. if its the hinge that is faulty, change the hinge 
  • predatorguy
    predatorguy Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited May 2020
    @StevenGen
     @Acer-Karp
     Same thing happened to my laptop today. When I opened it I found out that the metal frame inside was broken. Is there anything that can be done for this ?

• Vinayak096
    Vinayak096 Member Posts: 43 Devotee WiFi Icon

My Device is also facing same issues:
    1 - Broken Hinge
    2 - Screw Standoff is ripped off from the rear plate
    It broke off with just casual use (opening and closing the lid). If we analyze the point of failure, the cross section of hinge is too small to handle the load on it's own and breaks. 
    Will I be charged for this repair as my device is not under warranty but it's clearly a design flaw of the model?