Acer Aspire VX 15 hinge broken

Aarjav
Aarjav Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello,

I purchased an acer VX 15 (Aspire VX5-591G) SNIDXXXXXX in March  2017 and now the left hinge and back panel are starting to fall apart.

I would like this fixed however the service centre in India has quoted a charge of $100 + and even that, only if parts are available.

I would like this fee waived as I find the quality of the back panel very low and defective – not up to acer standards at all.

My family are lifetime Acer users and I did not expect this to happen already – just 2 months after the warranty is up.

Please let me know if anything can be done.

If not, you’ll be losing thousands of dollars over a lifetime and loyal customers.

Thanks

Best regards,
Aarjav Sharma

[Edited by 
Acer-Harvey]

Best Answer

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓

Hi all,

You need to contact your local Acer support for assistance, you can go to our page https://www.acer.com/worldwide/ where you can select the country of your location and under support tab you can find the available service centers and technical support phone numbers.

I am sorry for any inconveniences this may cause,

Acer-Manny

Answers

• RohitMoharana
    RohitMoharana Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited June 2018
    I have the exact same problem... 

my right side of the hinge just came apart from the the lip frame of the laptop now its just barely working on just one hinge.

All this happened just 2 days before my warranty expired. When i called customer service they told to visit a service center (even tho my warranty was On-Site), and yet after all this they said that warranty wasn't applicable on this. And also they dont have the required parts available and it has almost been 20 days since they "ordered" the parts.

Please my request to you, Acer, fix this problem. The built quality of your laptops are just outright bad. No laptops have a hinge problem even after years of use and go get your service system fixed.

I also had a screen flickering problem before, when i complained they came after 2 months finally replaced it with really poor TN Panel. Stop Scamming Acer!

And please get my problem solved,

A really agitated customer
  • Nac
    Nac Member Posts: 2 New User
    Baught Mine at right about the same time. Exact same line, EXACT same problem. Called costomer support and became a hot potato. I dont have time for this BS! 

And honestly as a freshman engineering student I cold have disigned a better mounting system! Why in the heck isn't it mounted TO the mettal frame rather than THROUGH the frame? Who had this idea??

Who cares if its out of waranty, manufactur error should not be my problem!
  • Sweetz
    Sweetz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same problem here, got mine about a year ago, and used it pretty much everyday since, and one morning out of the blue i open the lid and the right hinge (when looking towards the screen) just detached, and the sandwiched inside cover, the metal part and the outside cover are now separated, the metal part pressing on thr inside cover, so i basically cant open the lid nice thx 10/10 uwu good job
  • DannyMcKeever
    DannyMcKeever Member Posts: 3 New User
    Just happened to me in a meeting. This is my work computer. Opened the lid and it went "crunch". Bits of black plastic came out of the split between the bezel and the screen back. On inspection it seems the right hinge has snapped off the screen back, pulling out the screws. Now if I move the lid at all the hinge levers the bezel off. Not sure how long I've had it but I'm not happy. I've got two weeks of on-site support coming up before I can get back to the office. My engineering manager is going to be even less happy. What the hell? I need this thing to work.
  • imhjdavi
    imhjdavi Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the exact same problem... 

my right side of the hinge just came apart from the the lip frame of the laptop now its just barely working on just one hinge.

All this happened just 2 days before my warranty expired. When i called customer service they told to visit a service center (even tho my warranty was On-Site), and yet after all this they said that warranty wasn't applicable on this. And also they dont have the required parts available and it has almost been 20 days since they "ordered" the parts.

Please my request to you, Acer, fix this problem. The built quality of your laptops are just outright bad. No laptops have a hinge problem even after years of use and go get your service system fixed.

I also had a screen flickering problem before, when i complained they came after 2 months finally replaced it with really poor TN Panel. Stop Scamming Acer!

And please get my problem solved,

A really agitated customer
    I had a similar problem with the left hinge of my ES1-572-321G which I bought in the US.  I am now in Bangkok and I went to the Acer Service Center at Fortune Town.  They said they did not have the two parts needed to fix it because it was a model that was not sold in Asia.  I walked to Leng IT, a shop two or three doors down the corridor from the Acer Service Center.  They fixed it in an hour or so for a cost of 1000 baht.  The hinge is now better than when new.
  • Manseon
    Manseon Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey Danny, I have the same problem and both of my hinges broke off from the back cover. Have you received your parts from zandparts yet? I have heard that some parts that have "remote stock" can take months.
  • DannyMcKeever
    DannyMcKeever Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hey Manseon. I heard that as well. I phoned Acer support in Ireland and they gave me a number for Acer U.K. I ordered the parts direct from them. Slightly more expensive but more peace of mind. Waiting for parts to arrive. I'll update with progress when I get them!
  • Devik
    Devik Member Posts: 4 New User
    How did you order the part directly from Acer? I can't find any information about ordering parts from them online and the phone service here in Sweden (after warranty has expired) is really expensive. I'm thinking about attempting to replace it myself as well (broke after a year for me too).
  • Mongo
    Mongo Member Posts: 1 New User
    The left hinge on my Acer Aspire VX 15 broke off from the back cover. I've owed it for 1 -1/2 years. How do I order a back cover from Acer in the US? I can't find a link to anything but outside warranty coverage.

• Devik
    Same question here. I ended up ordering from Zandparts since they had one left in stock and the price was really low. I'll be getting the part later today, so I'll hopefully be able to fix my computer.... 
  • Devik
    Update: Got the part now, and upon taking apart my screen I noticed that replacing it was way more complicated than I'd thought. I'm going to end up sending it into a computer store for repairs instead. Sucks that it's built in such a bad way.
  • Devik
    Final update: Got the part replaced now at a repair store and it fixed the issue with the hinge. I can now open/close it without any issues.
  • S0M3RAND0MN00B
    S0M3RAND0MN00B Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited October 2018
    I wake up one day to open my aspire vx and now i have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I still can't believe it!
    And it seems to be a recurring problem within the community too!
    I just bought it for a year and 3 months!
  • DominiX32
    DominiX32 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Today my Acer Aspire VX 15 has broken too. I got back home and opened (with normal force) the laptop lid, then... I heard a little cracking noise. After I noticed my front LCD frame near the left hinge started coming off. I said to myself WTF and then some plastic remnants fell on the back of it. After inspecting the lid I was truly amazed how ***** enginering it required to make something like that. Mounting hinge to the plastic part instead to metal one? Really? Acer, I was a fan and was recommending your products for one of the best price/performance ratio. Not anymore until you will stop making things like that as it's clearly planned obsolescence. Here are some photos:
  • Skyjuicerz
    Skyjuicerz Member Posts: 1 New User
    I officially joined the broken hinge club last week...  :s

and it was just a couple of months after warranty. Please Acer fix this problem
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓

Hi all,

You need to contact your local Acer support for assistance, you can go to our page https://www.acer.com/worldwide/ where you can select the country of your location and under support tab you can find the available service centers and technical support phone numbers.

I am sorry for any inconveniences this may cause,

Acer-Manny

• Regular_newUser
    Regular_newUser Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Okay. So, I also came across this ***** show of a hinge mechanism few days back. I googled it and voila! It seemed everybody was suffering with this problem with vx15's. I hope the adventure I went through will be of some help to you guys.
    Being in India, I thought getting this thing repaired from Acer guys would be very expensive. So, I went to a local laptop repair shop. As we opened the hinges, we observed the nuts were attached to the very weak plastic back panel. That is the reason of our suffering. This is a serious design issue which was made by Acer purposefully. After seeing this, I made sure I'm not going to them for the repair.
    The guy I went to was pretty good. He took some powdered plastic, placed the nuts on their place, put some plastic around it and hardened it with super glue and iron. The nuts were now so tight on their place. This solution is probably better than even replacing the back panel. We did this for all the nuts in both the hinges to make sure it doesn't happen to the other hinge. I realize I should have clicked a photo of it for you guys.
    Also, please know the fact that the laptop wont boot up from the battery until the bottom cover is placed. WHY they did this??

Not done Acer.
    This is Indian Jugaad.
  • Regular_newUser
    Regular_newUser Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

DominiX32 said:
    Today my Acer Aspire VX 15 has broken too. I got back home and opened (with normal force) the laptop lid, then... I heard a little cracking noise. After I noticed my front LCD frame near the left hinge started coming off. I said to myself WTF and then some plastic remnants fell on the back of it. After inspecting the lid I was truly amazed how ***** enginering it required to make something like that. Mounting hinge to the plastic part instead to metal one? Really? Acer, I was a fan and was recommending your products for one of the best price/performance ratio. Not anymore until you will stop making things like that as it's clearly planned obsolescence. Here are some photos:
    You can probably YOLO and DIY it, check my post mate.
  • Rogue_Hunter
    Rogue_Hunter Member Posts: 1 New User
    Okay. So, I also came across this ***** show of a hinge mechanism few days back. I googled it and voila! It seemed everybody was suffering with this problem with vx15's. I hope the adventure I went through will be of some help to you guys.
    Being in India, I thought getting this thing repaired from Acer guys would be very expensive. So, I went to a local laptop repair shop. As we opened the hinges, we observed the nuts were attached to the very weak plastic back panel. That is the reason of our suffering. This is a serious design issue which was made by Acer purposefully. After seeing this, I made sure I'm not going to them for the repair.
    The guy I went to was pretty good. He took some powdered plastic, placed the nuts on their place, put some plastic around it and hardened it with super glue and iron. The nuts were now so tight on their place. This solution is probably better than even replacing the back panel. We did this for all the nuts in both the hinges to make sure it doesn't happen to the other hinge. I realize I should have clicked a photo of it for you guys.
    Also, please know the fact that the laptop wont boot up from the battery until the bottom cover is placed. WHY they did this??

Not done Acer.
    This is Indian Jugaad.
    Hi! I am from India as well and today faced the same problem as you once did. Could you give some more details about the materials used in the DIY process? 
This discussion has been closed.