inaccessible boot drive after windows update on Swift3 N17W7

BoardRoom
BoardRoom Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi

I have a Swift SF314-54 N17W7.

After a recent windows update I was unable to bootup.  I repeatedly got the error message "inaccessible boot drive".

Startup repair couldnt fix it. Reset this PC also failed.

I was able to reinstall W10 using an external DVD Drive with a generic W10 1903 recovery DVD (created using the WIndows10 media creation tool on my desktop PC).

The swift was then running absolutely fine. Did a disk health check using HD Sentinel. No errors on the drive.

All working fine until I did the next lot of Windows 10 updates. Then back to unbootable state with "inaccessible boot drive" error.

Had to do a Windows reset again which fortunately worked.

There are now several updates waiting to be done.

I suspect its the Insyde Software Firmware update causing the problem.

How can I stop it from installing or is there a fix?

Has anyone else had this issue on this model or identified which update is causing it?

Thanks for your time and any info.

B R

Comments

• Heartfeltdawn
    Heartfeltdawn Member Posts: 1 New User
    Check the BIOS to set whether the SATA mode is set for ACHI or RST with Optane.
  • BoardRoom
    BoardRoom Member Posts: 2 New User
    Check the BIOS to set whether the SATA mode is set for ACHI or RST with Optane.
    Thanks for your reply. My apologies for the delay in responding. Which one should it be set to? Thanks.
  • TECH_MAN
    TECH_MAN Ally Posts: 453
    Hi BoardRoom
    If you believe an update has caused your problem, you need to work through your recently installed packages and remove them one by one. Hopefully, you will eventually delete the update that’s causing the issue. 

To begin, open the Settings app and navigate to Update and Security > Recovery > Advanced Startup > Restart Now.

After a few moments, a blue screen will pop up. Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.

Windows 10s advanced options which include the command prompt

Your computer will restart and boot into the Command Prompt app. Once the Command Prompt is on your screen, follow these instructions:

1. Type dir c: (assuming Windows is installed in the C drive) and press Enter.
    2. Run Dism /Image:c:\ /Get-Packages.
    3. You will see all the packages installed on your system. Use the date field to identify the most recent and make a note of its complete name.
    4. To remove the package, type dism.exe /image:c:\ /remove-package /[package name]. Replace [package name] with the name you noted in the previous step.
    5. Reboot your machine.
    *Hit Accept if it's Helpful*
    Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!