Aspire V5-591G not able to use an Intel 660P M.2 NVME SSD

PeterKC
PeterKC Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have an Acer Aspire V5-591G-57GW. According to everything I can find, I should be able to add an M.2 NVME drive with no problem. I purchased an Intel 660P M.2 NVME drive, and installed it into the M.2 slot in the laptop. It shows up in the BIOS, and Windows sees a drive, but it is 0 buyes and not able to be initialized. I get an error stating that "a catastrophic hardware error caused the initialization to stop". I tried loading Intel drivers, flashing the BIOS to the most recent version, getting the most recent drivers for the laptop, etc... and no joy. The Intel SSD tools will see the drive and show the model and serial number, but shows 0 bytes. To troubleshoot, I installed HWINFO and ran it, and this is what I see:

Under "Slot Implemented", it says NO. How can I get this enabled? Is there a BIOS patch or Windows driver I can use? It's out of warranty, so if it's a hardware problem, then I won't be able to fix it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Answers

• PeterKC
    As an update, I exchanged the M.2 drive for a new one of the same model, and have the same issue.

• PeterKC
    Anyone? I only have a few more days to return the drive.
  • AlxMAX
    AlxMAX Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi,

It seems like I haven't documented enough and I have run into the same problem as you did. I have a 1 TB Intel 660p SSD which I have attempted to mount into an Acer Aspire V5 591G (588D I think). After booting to Windows, it is seen by the OS, but it is reported as having 0 bytes size. Have you got a solution for your problem?

Best regards,
    Alex.
  • PeterKC
    No, I never did. I ended up using the 660p in a new desktop I built. 
  • AlxMAX
    AlxMAX Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you for your time and answer.