Acer Aspire Z3-710 - Cannot log in or use mouse or keyboard after windows 10 update 8-14-19

moosiyaki
moosiyaki Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2019 in All-In-One PCs
Yesterday morning, my computer performed an update. It took longer than usual. After it was done, the computer rebooted and showed the expected picture/screensaver. This time, pressing the spacebar wouldn't allow me to key in a password. In fact, the cordless mouse and keyboard have no effect whatsover and seem unresponsive. I rebooted several times with exactly the same result. The touchscreen also is unresponsive. All of the fixes I can find online presuppose that I can use the keyboard or mouse to access the start menu or other menus. I cannot. Using function keys or Delete to bring up BIOS does work (which means it sees the keyboard) but that doesn't give me any useful options. I don't have Windows on a CD to boot from there and I am not familiar with this process (should it come to this). Any suggestions? Thanks.  

Answers

• Ishy
    Ishy Member Posts: 143 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hi, @moosiyaki You can try is resetting bios settings.
    1) Turn off the device.
    2) Press power button and immediately press F2 button for 4-5 times. 
    3) This will take you to Bios.
    4) Press F9 and click yes then Press F10 and click yes.
    5) This will restart the device and check if this help fix the issue.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    You can also try unplugging the USB sender for the keyboard/mouse then reboot and plug it back in. You can also try a different port.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • moosiyaki
    Wireless Keyboard came with PC and no sender is included so nothing to unplug. I tried plugging in a corded keyboard to see if that helps. Nothing.
  • moosiyaki
    F2 doesn't actually do anything on this PC. Delete shows me the BIOS menu. I loaded the default settings and saved but nothing happened after reboot. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Which model Acer do you have? I can't think of any that would have the keyboard sender built in...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • moosiyaki
    @billsey it's an Aspire Z3-710. 
  • ldemps
    ldemps Member Posts: 5 New User
    I have a similar problem with my ACER All-in-One  AZ3-710-UR52.  When booting to Windows 10, the boot stops when the splash screen appears and you expect to see the screen to enter your password.  However that box never appears and the system hangs.  When booting into safe mode, the password box appears but the wireless mouse and keyboard are inoperable.  I attempted to use a wired mouse in Safe Mode, but the red light at the bottom of the mouse does not shine.  Also the touch screen does not operate in Safe Mode, but this could be a function of Safe Mode.  I've performed a system restore using the wireless mouse and that works.  I have also used a Lynux based system recovery software and the mouse and keyboard work fine with that.  Therefore I am confident that the wire mouse and wireless keyboard are working perfectly.

I'm getting ready to reload Windows 10, but I am now concerned that there is an issue running Windows 10 version 1903 on this desktop model and if I reload windows, the PC will not boot when version 1903 is loaded.

I need help and assistance (or helpful suggestions) to get this PC running again.
  • ldemps
    edited August 2019
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/574515/acer-az3-710-es51-windows-1903-usb-problem#latest has some suggested fixes.  On my PC, uninstalling the latest feature fails.  I can go into regedit with the recovery disk. Does anyone have a suggestion of what entry can be modified.  I read that a value of 3 activates a USB port and a value of 4 deactivates the port (per https://blogs.systweak.com/how-to-enable-or-disable-usb-ports-in-windows-7/).

• ldemps
    My situation has gotten worse.  I created a Microsoft Windows PE bootable USB drive.  However, since the USB ports don't work, pressing the F12 and the DELETE keys at boot time does nothing.  Therefore I cannot change the boot sequence in the BIOS (pressing DELETE at boot time) and cannot alter the boot device by pressing F12.  The PE system would help me correct this issue, but I can't boot into the PE system.
  • SteelersIR
    SteelersIR Member Posts: 2 New User
    The usb sender is under the right side corner. just feel under and you can pull it out. So I have the same issue 1903 craps out the PC with no keyboard or mouse or even screen to log-in to windows and I have to use the USB key to re-install windows back to a working 10 state. Then about 2 weeks pass and this process starts again. How can we get past this update? 
  • SteelersIR
    SteelersIR Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited October 2019
    Murphy's Law - So after posting above I finally got it to work (3 rebuilds later and in knowing the usb issue I fig let me unplug it) here are the steps....
    1 - download the update to 1903
    2 - begin the install/update
    3 - once it finishes processing and begins to do the update "unplug the ethernet" and "unplug the USB sender under the right lower front of the PC by the power button" YES it is there!
    4 - let the PC do its thing a few hours
    5 - walah it works

note mine also on 1st boot didn't have wifi, so I did a "Network Reset" , rebooted and then a note asked to be discovered by other PCs I said yes and that fixed. I am finally up and will now do this exact steps for my other 2 units. 

What a relief and accomplishment to have finally gotten past this major flaw issue.

I also did verify in windows update history that in fact I am now on 1903.
  • Mattvan72
    Mattvan72 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm having the same issues as stated above. I just want to extract anything I have saved on the hard drive and desk top. Does anyone have any suggestion how to this without the function of the mouse or keyboard.  If I can download my files I will then chuck this piece of S&$t in the garbage..  Very disappointed in the lack of help form Acer in fixing this issue. I will never purchase an Acer or anything Acer related.

Thanks
    Matt
  • Peepsann
    Peepsann Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 1

I've had the same issue with my AZ3-710…I installed and reinstalled windows 10 over 3 time….USBs work for a while ..then Key Board and Mouse stop working and I'm unable to do anything…So I'm done with trying to use Windows 10..this machine is a boat anchor with it….So I solved my problem by installing Linux Ubuntu 23.10…and everything works like a charm…I know this is an old thread….but perhaps someone may want to know about this backdoor fix….Ubuntu Linux is a remarkable operating system…far superior to windows