SW5-173 Will not boot after latest Windows update

tbctc1983
tbctc1983 Member Posts: 11 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

I bought this laptop new and it has always worked flawlessly. After the most recent Windows update (1904 I believe) it would not boot from "off".  It will reboot, and I can get it to boot up if I go into the CMOS and reset to default settings. Then I turn it off and try to restart and it hangs at the Acer logo and the turning dots make one half turn.

Is there a way to boot from USB? Any ideas?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Use your BIOS reset to get it to boot. Then open ControlPanel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that currently are unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup. Shutdown. Turn it back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• tbctc1983
    tbctc1983 Member Posts: 11 New User
    Unfortunately, this did not work
  • JackE
    edited August 2019
    Open Control Panel again. Search 'restore point' . Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. Click 'system restore' button. Click 'next' . Select auto 1903 restore point. If it fixes the issue,  1903 can be blocked till a maintenance update fixes it or till the next major release comes out in the fall, probably 1910 or 1911. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

Follow video below to either reset or refresh your system to factory Windows condition. Then make sure Control Panel system protection is turned on so you can revert to 1803 after 1809 tries to install. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ