Acer Aspire TC-710 Intel Core i5 shutdown infrequently

Options
W2019
W2019 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Acer Aspire TC-710 shuts down at least once a day and I cannot determine why this keeps happening. Any ideas? There are no system logs or alerts that is pointing me to the problem. 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    What specifically do when it shuts down? Does it just turn off as if you pulled the plug, or does it do a shutdown like you'd hit the power button? Is there any sort of a warning? Have you tried monitoring the processor temperature while it's running?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • W2019
    Options
    It shuts down like I hit the power button. I usually wait a couple of minute and then power it back. There are no warning signs. I know the machine is not over heating and am incline to believe its a power supply problem but do not want to purchase a replacement if the problem is another hardware source.
  • billsey
    Options
    Almost always when you get an abrupt shutdown like that it's the CPU temperature. Are you running an app to monitor that just to verify it's not happening?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • W2019
    Options
    I thought the issue was related to the power supply but it turns out that it's the CPU cooler that is dying after start. Weirdly, there are no indications that the CPU is over heating.
  • billsey
    Options
    That is odd. I wonder if there's a problem with the CPU temperature sensors as well? It's obviously getting to the 100°C point, that's what's causing the shutdown.
  • doreentrani
    doreentrani Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    I'm having the same problem with restarts. At no particular time it just restarts. Sent it back to Acer in Texas twice already. They reloaded OS and Bios update. The second time I sent it back with same issue they said nothing is wrong. Still happening. Still under warranty until January. So disgusted. Not overheating either. 
  • billsey
    Options
    @doreentrani, are you monitoring the temperatures? How often does it shut down? Is it related at all to what you're running?
  • doreentrani
    Options
    Yes the temperatures are fine. It does it randomly while on internet or excel or anything really
  • billsey
    Options
    How often does it happen? Can you run for an hour, or four hours, or a full day? If it happen often enough you can test whether it's something affecting Windows by booting into the BIOS and see if it happens there. If it happen once a week that probably wouldn't tell you much. :)
  • doreentrani
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I actually have been arguing with them and they are sending me a new computer. 
  • billsey
    Options
    Good enough then! It would have been nice to know the actual cause though... :(