Acer Aspire E5-574G-54Y2 - Laptop shuts down ok, but refuses to sleep or hibernate. Black screen.

Options
AmoreLucky
AmoreLucky Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have an Acer Aspire e15 (can't remember exact model, I'll update with it later) and while it shuts down normally, I can't get it to sleep. If I either click hibernate/sleep in the start menu or close the laptop lid, the screen shuts off, but runs indefinitely. My only option is to force it to shut down and start it back up when I need to use it. I'm thinking it's a bios problem, but I'm not sure.

Most people seem to have issues waking up from sleep, I guess my issue is the opposite. Same frozen black screen, different problem altogether.

Answers

• AmoreLucky

Tinkerer

Options
    Update: Here's the model number.
    E5-574G-54Y2
  • Du_little
    Du_little Member Posts: 301 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hi @AmoreLucky ,

Try doing a system refresh on the unit, the os will be reloaded will check whether the problem is getting resolved, follow the below steps;
    1. Head to Start then go to Settings.
    2. Head into Update & security.
    3. On the left, head into Recovery.
    4. Under reset this PC, click Get Started.
    5. Click what method you want to perform.
    Hit Accept if its useful :) 

• AmoreLucky

Tinkerer

Options
    Du_little said:
    Hi @AmoreLucky ,

Try doing a system refresh on the unit, the os will be reloaded will check whether the problem is getting resolved, follow the below steps;
    1. Head to Start then go to Settings.
    2. Head into Update & security.
    3. On the left, head into Recovery.
    4. Under reset this PC, click Get Started.
    5. Click what method you want to perform.
    I have recently replaced the original hdd with an sdd with the same storage capacity, and the problem persists. It was a BRAND NEW SSD, mind you. I don't think the hard drive's the issue. Also, it now won't shut down when I have it shut down.

Windows shuts down, the screen goes black, but the computer will just keep running, fan and everything. Same happens when I try to make it sleep or hibernate, the screen goes black, but it won't sleep or hibernate, the hard drive and fan just keep running. I don't know what's going on.
  • Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    Try doing an EC reset.
    at the back of the laptop , there is a pin hole. press in a pin there for 10-15 seconds, wait a few minutes then start.
    My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.