Gateway NE56R laptop: Keyboard shortcuts won't work - what to do?

me1004
me1004 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a Gateway laptop, model NE56R. I'm running the latest version of Windows 10. This problem first started in the last version of Windows 10, so the update did not solve the problem.
Several months ago, the ability to use keyboard shortcuts -- for things like to copy some text, pasting, all the others -- stopped working.  I have looked into everything I can think of, and I can't get them working again. You don't know how important those are until you can't use them.
Can anyone help me get these working again?
I first attacked this back in late winter, ran through everything I could find on Google about it, no help. I have now gotten back into it, but I'm pretty much just going through the same things.
Is there some setting somewhere that might need to be changed? There are lots of settings all over Windows 10, and I have gone through them and turned various off for privacy reasons. But I can't find any I have turned off that sound like they would be related to this.
Could it be something in the bios? Settings? Control Panels? Something else?
The only "device" I use regularly plugged into the computer is a mouse (I hate trackpads). But even unplugging that does nothing to help the problem. So a conflict with that is not the issue.
I have tried pressing all the function keys, to see if one of those turned it off, but none turn it on.
I have checked both Microsoft and Acer to see if I could find a newer or alternate driver for my machine, but I have the newest they offer. I have deleted the drivers and let them reinstall again fresh. None of that helped. I just a couple days ago I got a new application, Driver Easy, to see if it could find a newer or alternate driver, but it said I already have the most updated driver.
I don't have an external Windows keyboard to test on the machine. I tried an external Mac keyboard, with only very minor success, one keyboard shortcut worked, no others. It  doesn't mean anything, the circuitry is different.
I note, other than the keyboard shortcuts, the keyboard works fine and dandy.
What can I do to get the keyboard shortcuts working again?

Answers